Red Oil Light ON

Eugenyus

Hello all,

Starting Monday after my engine heats up approximately 30 minutes drive into the city my Oil Light Came on, red one that indicates stop the car immediately. First time when it came on I went to my mechanic and ask him about the issue. He said that the engine sounds normally and when it starts is sounds like the oil pump is working and I have nothing to worry about. He ordered a new oil bulb(attacked photo) and we are going to replace that this week. Also when the light comes up if I leave the engine on idle it keeps beeping but if I'm driving a little bit over 2000 RPM it goes off. When I start the car in the morning or when the engine is not heated I can run it without any light on. What are your assumptions regarding presented issue? Oil level is normal I don't see any withe or black smoke behind the car.

Oil Used: Motul 5w40

I have used that oil before and I did not had any issues

10750866 (1).jpg

Hello Eugen,

Sounds as if your mechanic has made a reasonable assumption that it is the oil pressure sensor is at fault rather than the engine actually having low oil pressure, but an assumption it is. 

Even if the new sensor solves the problem, you have no idea of what the running oil pressure is - it may only be marginally higher than that needed to put the light out. 

Proper action:- remove the sensor and replace it with a properly connected oil pressure gauge - which the garage should have. Take the car for a 10 mile run to get the oil up to operating temperature, and check the oil pressure at idle and above say 2000 rpm. You will then know if the pressure is acceptable. 

Motul oil? Just a personal opinion, and without full knowledge, but I’ve always taken this oil to be ‘budget’, and generally available from specific internet suppliers. I’ve always used Quantum oil (was/is recommended by VAG) since it is only marginally more expensive. I use the correct grade in their Longlife variety, but still change it once a year on a low mileage schedule.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Thanks 1

Hello all,

Update:

I have removed the oil pressure sensor and when I disconnect the electric part, it was leaking oil on the circuity connector. I have put a new sensor on, clean the connector and now the issue is gone. Thanks a lot Gareth for your help. I did not made another pressure test because I assumed that taking into consideration the shape of the old sensor that was the one who caused the error message to appear. Now I did not receive that error message anymore.

Regards.

Eugen

Thanks for letting us know Eugen. 

Hopefully! that was the only cause of the problem, but as you say - you  assume   - it is. I still think I would have had the running oil pressure measured incase it was low, and your new switch simply tips you over the line of enough pressure to put the light out.

Kind regards,

Gareth.