Key and key fob

DavisKV9

Hello!
I just bought myself a 2004 Audi A3 and found out 2 things that i need help with.
I got the car with 2 keys
1)The problem is that both keys wont open the door when i put it in and turn it, but with the keyfob it unlocks the door, what could be the problem there?
2)The second keyfob doesn't work and how could i pair it with the car? I tried to insert it in the ignition and turning the key to position2. And tried to pair the key by putting one key in the ignition and the other key putting in the door, then turning both ways and pressing the unlock button.

Mainly i am interested in fixing the first question

Hello Davis,

I’m very much with Cliff and his Q1. It’s not out of the question that the driver’s door lock has been changed, or indeed someone has just acquired remotes (with any old key) and had one programmed to operate the central locking. 

Re. the second fob. Might not be any consolation, but I’ve tried all methods I can find to re programme my second (original) fob, which went peculiar some years back. No success I’m afraid, and I just use it as an emergency key, rather than spend on getting it re programmed. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

On 11/3/2019 at 1:22 PM, cliffcoggin said:

Davis.

More details needed please.

Q1. You said the keys won't open the door, Does that apply to just the driver's door, or to both doors and the boot?

Q2  Have you renewed the battery in the second fob?

Cliff.

A1: When i put in the key in the door and turn it nothing happens at all. It won unlock or lock anything.
A2: I bought the car with the second fob not working, so i changed the battery and that didnt help.

On 11/3/2019 at 2:03 PM, Magnet said:

Hello Davis,

I’m very much with Cliff and his Q1. It’s not out of the question that the driver’s door lock has been changed, or indeed someone has just acquired remotes (with any old key) and had one programmed to operate the central locking. 

Re. the second fob. Might not be any consolation, but I’ve tried all methods I can find to re programme my second (original) fob, which went peculiar some years back. No success I’m afraid, and I just use it as an emergency key, rather than spend on getting it re programmed. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Thanks, i am taking the car to the service so i will ask them to program the key

8 hours ago, DavisKV9 said:

A1: When i put in the key in the door and turn it nothing happens at all. It won unlock or lock anything.

Perhaps I did not make my question clear enough. Which door does the key fail to open? Driver's door? Passenger door? Boot? Or all three?

Hello Davis,

Programming your second  remote is of course an option, but if your remote central locking fails, you simply don’t have a means of getting into your car! 

Other better option? Give Audi your VIN and request the build key code, and then order a key - assuming the locks are the original. 

Also that option in Latvia? 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Ok, just got back from my mechanic, the old owner had removed one metal piece from the door lock mechanism so the key wouldn't work (they remove it so it would be harder to get in the car)
And the other fob  they will program through computer somehow (as i understood they will clone the old fob)

Thanks a lot for your help! 🙂

• Like 1

I’m confused Davis! 

From your earlier reply to Cliff it appears the previous owner must have ‘.....removed one metal piece...’ from every lock then, since you say ‘....all three..’

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

57 minutes ago, Magnet said:

I’m confused Davis! 

From your earlier reply to Cliff it appears the previous owner must have ‘.....removed one metal piece...’ from every lock then, since you say ‘....all three..’

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Sorry, i must have not understood you.
I have only one keyhole and it is in the drivers door, there is not even a hole for the key in the passenger door and the trunk. And from that one keyhole the central locking doesn't open any of the 2 doors or the trunk.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cliffcoggin said:

Only one keyhole. What an odd arrangement. Was that how the car was made, or could it be another modification by the previous owner?

It is the 8p version (2.gen).
i am looking at ads and pictures online and i don't see any of them having keys on the passenger doors or the trunk