Cambelt replacement

Steve O

I took our A4 in for servicing last month (a couple of weeks after its 5th anniversary) and was told after the service had been completed that the cambelt replacement was overdue as it should be replaced every 5 years. I was quoted over £700 for this.

When I got home I checked the service book which stated that the cambelt should be replaced after 133,000 miles. There was no mention of time interval. I spoke with the service team at the Audi dealership who said that the water pump should also be replaced with the cambelt.

I then checked this with Audi UK customer service who told me that their techincal team's explanation for this is that the water pump is easier to change when the cambelt is changed. They also confirmed that the cambelt should be replaced every 5 years and didn't know why the service book omitted this interval.

It seems a waste of time and money to replace the water pump every 5 years with the cambelt. I'm happy to replace the cambelt as recommended but cannot believe that the water pump also needs replacing. Perhaps replace the water pump every 10/15 years?

Does anyone have any views on this or any experience of water pump issues? 

Hello Steve,

If you search this forum under Cambelt change, you should find a recent post (within the last couple of weeks?) where I’ve attempted to cover this chapter and verse. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 4 months later...

Change the water pump while you are at it. (it's only about £30). It's false economy not to.

If afterwards you find there are issues with the water pump, it may break the cambelt which will be expensive.

If the pump doesn't last another 5/6 years then you'll have to pay all that substantial labour cost again.

19 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Peter,

Are you talking £30 for a genuine VAG water pump? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

No. That would be for a non-VAG one.

Would be better if you can use a VAG one, but I'm not sure of the price  of that. 

Apologies Peter for throwing this one in, but I would never (in caps) advocate fitting an aftermarket pump, since they can be of dubious quality.

In fact if push came to shove, I would prefer to take a chance and leave the existing one there if genuine VAG, rather than fitting an aftermarket one. 

Genuine VAG pumps should be available at discount for under £60ish, so why compromise the whole critical assembly for an extra £30? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

20 hours ago, Magnet said:

Apologies Peter for throwing this one in, but I would never (in caps) advocate fitting an aftermarket pump, since they can be of dubious quality.

In fact if push came to shove, I would prefer to take a chance and leave the existing one there if genuine VAG, rather than fitting an aftermarket one. 

Genuine VAG pumps should be available at discount for under £60ish, so why compromise the whole critical assembly for an extra £30? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

I agree. For that price, just get a genuine VAG one.

Have you got a link for your write-up about the cambelt job.

& Where's the best place to get genuine VAG parts?

Hello Peter,

Sorry, not sure about a link for actually doing the cambelt.

Although the cambelt has just been done on the A3, I have been ‘banned’ from carrying out such jobs! - a few miles on the clock now, having passed my test in 1961, so it’s down to a neighbour free lance mechanic, with me being responsible for getting the parts. 

My source of genuine parts at discount:- Discount Audi Parts -Cardiff . Part of Mon Motors, who are actually Cardiff Audi.

Contact is Phil ( very helpful). If have recently posted the contact details against another post. It’s glass of wine time for the vulnerable now, but just let me know is you fail to find them. They do mail order, and you can pay via. Paypal. Don’t be put off by their website just listing accessories - e mail Phil with your requirements. 

Good luck and kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

‘Banned!’

Oh blinking heck - 

‘...passed test in 1961.....’

Nearest and dearest issue restrictions on the degree of tinkering which is allowed. 

Come on catch up Peter! 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2020 at 7:45 PM, Magnet said:

Hello Peter,

Sorry, not sure about a link for actually doing the cambelt.

Although the cambelt has just been done on the A3, I have been ‘banned’ from carrying out such jobs! - a few miles on the clock now, having passed my test in 1961, so it’s down to a neighbour free lance mechanic, with me being responsible for getting the parts. 

My source of genuine parts at discount:- Discount Audi Parts -Cardiff . Part of Mon Motors, who are actually Cardiff Audi.

Contact is Phil ( very helpful). If have recently posted the contact details against another post. It’s glass of wine time for the vulnerable now, but just let me know is you fail to find them. They do mail order, and you can pay via. Paypal. Don’t be put off by their website just listing accessories - e mail Phil with your requirements. 

Good luck and kind regards,

Gareth. 

I found these guys by accident (on eBay) when looking to buy Quantum 5w30 LL in place of Castrol for my last oil change 🙂