A3 8p: 1.9 TDI BLS with stiff 3rd gear

Eurotrotter

Hi All,

Ed here, nice to meet you all, I have a 2009 A3 Sportback with a 1.9 tdi BLS engine (5-speed).

All of a sudden, it is difficult to get into 3rd gear.

No other issues with the car, everything else is 100%.

Up until now, it has been absolutely fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ed

Ed.

My first suspect for all gear engagement problems is the clutch. Is the bite point at the top, middle, or bottom of the pedal travel? Does it grab smoothly or is it sudden? How many miles has the clutch done? Is the fluid level (assuming it is hydraulic) low?

Sorry Ed, I can not advise without information, and the only way I can get that information is if you provide specific answers to the questions I posed. The fact that the clutch is new does not eliminate it from the problem, because even new clutches can fail or be wrongly fitted or suffer hydraulic faults. Only once we are sure the clutch is fully functional should we consider other possible faults with the gearbox.

Hello Ed,

Just to confirm that the clutch is completely smooth it’s it’s operation, the bite point is.....?  as Cliff asks, and the selection of all other gears - particularly first and reserve - is absolutely trouble free. 

If this is indeed the case, then I would be first looking at any wear/ adjustment issues in relation to the external selection of 3rd gear. 

Cliff raises a fair point by drawing attention to not eliminating the clutch simply since it is new. Unfortunately it’s is becoming an increasing issue where new aftermarket components can be substandard, leading to issues in a very short space of time.

As a matter of interest- what make of clutch components were used as replacement? 

What mileage has the car covered Ed, to warrant a new clutch? 

Gearbox oil level checked, and of specified grade? 

Kind regards,

Gareth.