Power steering - vague

JunieB

We have just acquired an A6Allroad 2013 model year.  The steering is far too light at slow speed, country lanes at night are a nightmare.  After ten years with a 2003 A6Allroad, this one is frightening. 

Does anyone think the same and is there a solution?

Do you have Audi Drive Select. Here you can tailor your preferences including steering to a personal selection if any of the defaults do not match your personal preference. Also check front wheel alignment and tyre pressures as all can contribute to vague steering input. Lastly tyre type and wear can also give undesirable feedback through the steering wheel   

Found Individual Settings yesterday and set the steering to Dynamic - better in that the steering wheel is not over geared but the reality is that it is simply a stiffer pudding.  Tyres are Pirelli, pressures checked just the other day by the local tyre fellows.  4 wheel alignment & geometry next I guess.  I see on various forums that it is a general Audi issue.  We rented a brand new A6 Avant in Sweden (very good roads); 4, of us all Audi drivers, found the steering too loose and too vague and ... dangerous.

Hello June,

From the school of simple thoughts and actions:- 

Do you know what the tyre pressure should actually be - by looking in the car’s handbook? 

‘....pressures check by local fellows..’ doesn’t really instil confidence, since opinions and reference charts vary, and the definitive answer  must be taken from the handbook. 

If it were mine, I would be checking the handbook figures and personally checking the pressures you have in the tyres. From that point, you know they are right and this basic factor is eliminated as a possibility - before spending on 4 wheel geometry adjustments - which might not be necessary unless the tyre wear patterns are uneven. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. G

🙂 Tyre pressures taken from the sticker on the driver's door pillar.  I will get someone more savvy with these things to check all the pressures and wear patterns.  Never had these problems with the 03 Allroad... just 4 new airsprings and minor things like that - oh and 4 new Pirellis the other day from those local fellows I mentioned!

Gareth - the tyres replaced were on our 2003 A6 Allroad (Pirelli).  2012 Allroad also has Pirelli, but the steering is horrid; nothing to do with wear I fancy, she runs and breaks straight and true.  I am convinced by Google that it is an Audi malaise.

One quote - You could get your tracking checked...Also, perhaps look at the whole suspension geometry to ensure it's all as it should be...Also, check your tyre pressures...Failing that, welcome to the world of ill handling Audis! 

And another - That’s in part because the car’s steering, although pacey, precise and variously weighty, lacks dependable feedback – even when Dynamic mode is selected – and fails to give a meaningful sense of connection to the front wheels.

Audis are supposed to be a little vague on road placement, aren’t they?

Written by someone else:  In truth, there’s not a whole lot of difference between Auto and Dynamic, although we prefer the slightly more positive feeling of the steering in this mode. That’s because it always feels a little vague. If there was more of a build-up of resistance in corners, your confidence in the car’s directional stability would increase. And hard acceleration on undulating roads can uncover what feels very like a whiff of torque steer, despite all-wheel drive. 

and so on ...

OK June. So we are talking two vehicles in your ownership - clear now, but not before. 

Simply with an aim of trying to save you some funds:- if the steering geometry is out of alignment then you are going to notice some degree of uneven tyre wear. Are you? 

Of course, you can Google anything to death, and find out all the bad news - good news and comment travel slower! 

Just wondering if you test drove this vehicle before you bought it. 

Sorry to appear unhelpful, but I wonder why you bought it, having had a less than favourable view of the rented car. Can’t you take it back, since it’s considered dangerous? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Mine is not an all road and has s-line lowered ride so the handling will be totally different but it takes a slippery road and a heavy foot to invoke any vagueness in the handling of my A6 C7. I appreciate that air suspension with a higher ride will feel different to mine so what I would suggest is you find a similar A6 for sale and ask for a test drive on the premise of purchase - if it is as bad as yours you know that yours is as good as it gets or you have found a brace of bad ones. The last car that has steering that unnerved me was a 1972 land rover - now that was vague especially when towing.  

• Like 1