which battery ref number

TAUDI38

Hi guys n gals

I am confused with this whole battery replacement i keep seeing these codes 019 020 as my battery is 4FO 015 1050 12V 110AH 520A DIN 850AE varta please confirm what battery i need is it 019 or 020 its for a6 c6 4f2 2008 diesel salon rear boot cheers 

Hello T.....,

I believe 020 is physically a little longer than an 019, so first check is to measure the length, width and height of what you have. A word of caution - if using a steel tape then be very careful that you don’t touch the positive (red lead) terminal with the tape, or you could end up in trouble. 

Once you have these measurements, check them against the specified dimensions on the supplier’s websites or phone the supplier to check what you have. If it turns out to be an 019 then it might be worth seeing if the battery tray would take the larger 020.

Next important bits:- Ah rating - looks like your is a 110 Ah battery. This is the capacity of the battery to store ‘current’.

CCA ( cold cranking amps) - the larger this figure, the ‘better’ the battery will be in starting the car in cold conditions. Looks like yours is rated at 850, so you would not want to buy a battery with a CCA or less than 850. 

Makes and guarantee? Personally, I would not buy a battery which have less than a 4 year warranty. Varta were one of the major suppliers to the car manufacturers, so you could be wise and replace with this make, by shopping around to get the best deal. I would not be tempted by cheaper priced batteries. Bosch (go for the S5 version) are reputed to be rebranded Varta so again worth going with. 

Now having given you all the techy background, you will be well equipped to look up the good old eBay and find suppliers such as Battery Megastore, Tayna, Plymouth Batteries etc. and they will advise you what battery you need simply by giving them your registration number. Thimble! as they say. 

Yes, I could have told you this in the first place, but you would then be none the wiser of what it all means.

Remember, buy on price at your peril. Spend once and wisely, and just buy good brands at cheapest prices. 

Perhaps you could let us know how you get on Mr. T.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth

I will measure and get back to you i had spoken to Tayna batteries the guy advised this is 020 but another guy says 019 like i said i will measure also are Enduroline any good as this states it gives more power than more power than AGM and EFB anyone used this

Oh blinking heck T. 

Enduroline (made well east of the Thames estuary?) isn’t Varta or Bosch, so question is answered in my book! Audi chose to use Varta. If you really don’t want to buy either of these makes at the most competitive price, then just by the cheapest battery that will fit the car.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi
I have rechecked this what i got roughly Length 15 3/8 inches or 3.9cm width 7 inches or 17.4cm Height 7 and half inches or 19cm and regarding my current battery 4FO 015 1050 12V 110AH 520A DIN 850AEN/5A  in regards to Enduroline i am not going to buy it I was asking if any one used this battery that's all 

Hello T,

Thanks for the dimensions.

It looks as if the battery is equivalent to the larger 020 rather than the slightly shorter 019, so I would go for a 020. 

These batteries are rated at 110Ah (same as you have fitted) and a CCA of 920 which is higher (better) than your 850.

These are large and comparatively expensive. Quick search on eBay shows Plymouth Batteries have a Varta 5 year guarantee one at £112.57 delivered. This seems to be the best eBay price for this make and size, but best to check for yourself. 

One particular large on line factors frequently advertise discount codes at varying attractive % but beware, the ‘list price’ can be high, and even when the discount code is used, you end up paying more than some competitors. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.