Too much engine oil

agulih

Hi all, Can I have some advice please?

I have a 2017 A6 2.0 diesel saloon. I decided to check the engine oil level even though there was no indicator light or warning that the levels were low. The display showed that the level was quite low. I decided to add 1 liter of Shell Healix 5W-30 oil. Now the indicator shows that the oil level is full with the message "please reduce oil level".

Do I need to take the car now to a dealer tomorrow to have some of the oil drained or it is OK to leave it as it is.

Thanks in advance,

Abhi

A6_oil.jpg

Hello Abhi, 

Yes, I would take it to an Audi dealer, to ensure the oil level is reduced to an acceptable level to ensure no excuses are used in the future  in respect of any warranty claim.

A couple of points:- 

Can we take it the car has a conventional dip stick as well as a display? If so, where was the oil level before adding oil? (assuming it was checked with a cold engine which had be stood for a couple of hours).

Unless the dip stick showed the cold level to be at the minimum mark, then adding 1lire might well have resulted in an unacceptably high current level. 

If it does have a dip stick, where is the oil level on a cold engine now? (after at least a 2 hour cool down). Perhaps you could let us know how many mm. above the Max. mark it is. 

Getting it looked at pre-Christmas?? Unless it is more than about 4mm over the Max. then I would say you can live with it until you can get it looked at. 

More than 4mm? Would be well worth trying a couple of local garages who normally have suction oil removal equipment - to see if they can help to remove some. 

Might be worth investigating why this 2 year old car appears to be using oil. How long you’ve own it and when was it last serviced? 

Perhaps you can come back to us Abhi,

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi Gareth,

Thank you very much for the reply. As far as I know, the car does not have a dipstick. 

I had checked the oil level on the display after driving it for 2 min. 

We took the car on a lease two years ago and it hasn’t had a service so far. Surprisingly, the service indicator hasn’t come on so far.

kind regards,

Abhi

Hello Abhi,

Many thanks for coming back. 

Back to your original post, I guess we now need to know exactly where the indicator was pointing when you decided it ‘...was quite low..’. We would also need to know/confirm what quantity of oil the handbook quotes as the correct quantity to be added once the warning alert comes on - at Min? The answers to these two questions should allow you to get a better assessment of your overfill. 

2 years old and not yet serviced? What mileage has the car now covered?

If as could be suspected, it’s on a Longlife service schedule then it’s likely it should be serviced around 18K?, but I would have thought there would have been a time limit (whichever come first) and 2 years would seem sensible as that time limit. 

Anyone got any specific experience with this particular model year?

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Thanks Gareth.

The indicator level was just above minimum before I added the oil.

The handbook does mention adding 0.5 L at a time so I guess I should have checked after adding half the oil,

Will arrange service in the next few weeks. It has done about 22000 miles.

Kind regards,

Abhi

Thanks Abhi,

It’s a fact of life..’If all else fails - consult the handbook/instruction book!’ 

22k, 2 year old and not serviced, just doesn’t sound right to me, but other opinions may differ. Personally, I wouldn’t be arranging to get it serviced in the next few weeks, but treating it with some urgency, or at least making (recorded) enquiries urgently. Leases and any lack of/late servicing can be quite brutally dealt with at the end of lease, and best not to get into that argument. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 2 years later...

Hello

I get the exact same message and took it to my local Audi dealer. (please reduce your oil level).  The garage checked the oil and they said its absolutely fine.

What seems to be the issue with the indicator?

Edited by mmlakhani