Quick Quizzy Question

Ripface

Hi All,

Wondered if anyone could help here.  I recently put my Audi S5 into a local garage for it's MOT.  Passed first time, result!

On picking it up I noticed that the heater controls had been messed with, and the heated seat (which I leave at full on) was switched off.  Strange thinks I, why would anyone screw with the heater controls just to drive the car round to the MOT bay??

Now that my suspicions were raised, I arrived home and took my dash cam in to the house.  Found the footage of my drive up to the garage.  Found the footage of them starting the car in the parking lot, and leaving it running for 20 minutes to defrost.  ... and then nothing!

Weird, no further footage, or any footage of me driving home.  It was not until I checked further that I found the footage of me driving home but the data on the camera now reads 2015???

So missing all the footage of the car leaving the parking lot, and being driven round to the MOT bay.  Then I find footage (also 2015) of the car *IN* the MOT bay.

So someone has reset the date/time on the camer, and erased some footage.  I guess some mechanic decided to have a little test drive, then realised that there was a dash cam.  Not surprising as it's quite a small unit hidden behind the mirror.

My question is, is there any way to get info from the ECU on whether the car was driven (hard) in the time between the car being started in the lot, and being stopped in the MOT bay?

Cheers folks,
Ripface.

Hi John....welcome to the Forum

That is indeed what it sounds like, but at least I suppose if there is no damage and speeding tickets coming through then it is just one of those things to put down to experience and don't use the garage in the future.
What would have been useful is if you had a mobile phone in the car as it would have tracked the journey on Google Maps which could have been interesting to say the least.

Good to have you onboard

Hey Trevor,

Thanks for the welcome, and the pointers.  Actually, I do have the original Audi phone in the car ... but it does not have a sim so presume it won't be able to track movements.  The garage in question has had a change of mechanics recently, and my favourite go-to mechanic left to set up on his own.  Sad loss!!  It's frustrating when you get a mechanic who you can trust move away from the local garage.  He set up miles away so not really an option to continue using his services.

Have a great New Year, actually ... New Decade!!

Cheers,
John.

• Like 1