Q5 Oil pressure issue

JamesT

Hi,

So I have a 2013 Q5 2.0 Tdi

The oil pressure light sometimes comes on when engine temperature is up, while braking with the clutch down. As soon as I drive away the light disappears. Car runs perfect. 
The oil strainer has been cleaned out and the oil pressure sensor replaced

Any ideas what this could be???

Thanks 

Hello James,

I wonder if you can give us a bit more detail about what you mean by ...’when engine temperature is up’. Do you mean as soon as the coolant temperature gauges reads 90/normal, or some time after that? 

My next move would be to get the actual running oil pressure measured after at least a 5 mile run - preferably 10 mile. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Apologies for appearing pedantic James, but it is a fairly common belief that an engine is up to ‘normal operating temperature’ when the coolant reaches Normal, but it isn’t - until the oil reaches its normal operating temperature - which is usually a few miles later.

Same advice apples:- get the actual oil pressure measured at this point. This will tell you whether you have an issue or a false indication. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

If it were mine James, I would certainly need to know that:- they did actually measure the oil pressure, and what that reading was at idle and at say 2000rpm, and of course confirm the measurements were taken after a 10 mile run - if they weren’t and the oil wasn’t up to its operating temperature then you will need to expect the readings will lower even more. 

If indeed they did measure it, they must be able to confirm it was within acceptable limits, otherwise it would not have made logical sense to have renewed the sensor. 

If it isn’t within acceptable limits then you are obviously in trouble, and need to urgently investigate why - to minimise the risk of inevitable engine damage. 

Sorry, but I cannot suggest any other course of action based on what you tell us. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.m