Central locking not unlocking all doors

pottsy87

Go to solution Solved by Pat Davey,

This started happening a few months ago, after purchasing the car in August this year..

Basically as the title says, When pressing the fob, a couple of doors only will unlock. For instance, I just changed the battery and went to try again. The drivers door and the rear nearside door unlocked, but not the passenger or the rear offside.

This can differ between the 2 rear doors, but very rarely the passenger door will unlock, maybe around 30 % of the time.

The drivers door has never had a problem and unlocks every time.

All doors open fine from the inside

I have the 'Unlock single door' feature set to off, and have tried changing it around but no luck. Every now and again all 4 doors will be fine.

Thought I would ask here to see of there is a fix, before biting the bullet and taking it in to Audi.

TIA

• 2 months later...

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/27/2020 at 7:52 PM, Markmf15 said:

Hi

o have the same problem. Only drivers door works properly. The other 3 sound as if the actuators are working but only lock doors not unlock them. Anyone any ideas?

Hi I have the same issue my 2009 a4 all doors lock but only my boot and driver rear passenger doors unlock any ideas??

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Old post I know, however this may help someone out in the future. My avant does this every couple of years, one of the doors will play up and not unlock with the fob, lean through and pull the internal handle and then it’ll open from the exterior handle. Turns out that the lock/unlock motors in the locking mechanism get carboned up and stop working. Strip them down, clean the motor armatures with some meths and a scotch pad and they work for another couple years. Pics attached.

9BCA8540-0D8E-473F-98C8-CE30B62C9FDB.jpeg

3707F55D-2B72-4907-A543-D0773F984E95.jpeg

F1B2665B-5B75-4952-B0FA-29B227DB4A4A.jpeg

D990FACA-8642-455A-84EA-39889F40BAAD.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mwignall2 said:

Old post I know, however this may help someone out in the future. My avant does this every couple of years, one of the doors will play up and not unlock with the fob, lean through and pull the internal handle and then it’ll open from the exterior handle. Turns out that the lock/unlock motors in the locking mechanism get carboned up and stop working. Strip them down, clean the motor armatures with some meths and a scotch pad and they work for another couple years. Pics attached.

9BCA8540-0D8E-473F-98C8-CE30B62C9FDB.jpeg

3707F55D-2B72-4907-A543-D0773F984E95.jpeg

F1B2665B-5B75-4952-B0FA-29B227DB4A4A.jpeg

D990FACA-8642-455A-84EA-39889F40BAAD.jpeg

That's great bit of advice 😊 thanks for the tip 👍

hi when i unlock the car only the drivers door unlocks. i have to press the key twice for the other 3 doors to unlock.as in my pic i have the auto locking off i did try auto locking on just in case.i tried the diagnostics and it locked and unlocked the doors.but no faults.so does it look like i will have to strip the 3 doors and give them a good clean as advised by Mwignall2 thanks

20230213_160728.jpg

Auto locking is when the car locks the doors when you get to 10mph(ish) pressing the button twice to unlock all the other doors is part of the coding in VCDS and can be recoded. The door lock crud issue is when all or some of the other doors won’t unlock at all.

8 hours ago, Mwignall2 said:

Auto locking is when the car locks the doors when you get to 10mph(ish) pressing the button twice to unlock all the other doors is part of the coding in VCDS and can be recoded. The door lock crud issue is when all or some of the other doors won’t unlock at all.

AAAHHH i see thank you for that explantion thats a relief cheers Mwignall2

• 11 months later...

Just wondering if anyone could help me out with this problem

i bought this 2010 Audi a4 and ever since I bought it there rear doors won’t unlock or lock with the key or interior buttons if I want it to open I have to go inside pull the handle then when I want to lock it I have to use the key spot in the door frame. I thought it maybe was a wiring issue but I still have full power to windows and all the buttons all light up. If anyone got any clues please help me out  

• Solution

Hi. I have a 2010 A3 and two doors with this problem. I changed one of the lock mechanisms and it solved the issue for me. The other door is on my to do list. The aftermarket part is about £30 on eBay and as someone else stated, you need to strip the door down and get the part number from the faulty one to ensure you get the right one (absolutely necessary - none of the parts dealers had the correct number on file for mine). It’s mostly a straight forward job with one awkward little catch that connects the part to the door handle rod. It was a cold day when I did it which didn’t help.