AUDI A4 Avant (2019) spare tyre question

Steve335

Hi all,

I’m new to the forum. I would appreciate your help.
I’ve just bought an A4 Avant 40TFSI. It’s a 2019 model, bought used from the local Audi dealer. As most of you know, newer Audis don’t come with a spare wheel (not even a space saver one). The only thing supplied is an inflatable kit which is pretty much useless and it also ruins the tyre if used, which means you have to purchase a new tyre every time you have a puncture.

I have asked the dealer if I can order a space-saver tyre. He made some enquiries and the response was: “AUDI are not sure if it’s possible and also if it will even fit, as modifications might be needed. If you have a puncture, call breakdown service!”. Not sure what to think of that… Apparently the reason AUDI have removed the spare tyre is to reduce emissions… I drive a lot for work and it wold be very inconvenient to call breakdown service and wait to be towed to the nearest garage just to repair a puncture. I’d like to be able to put the spare tyre on and carry on with my journey.

The tyres are 245/40/R19  (19 inch alloys). I had a look online and it seems that the Hankook T125/70/R19 space saver tyre is the one suited for this size. The only problem is that the boot space is very tight. There is potentially some room if I remove the pump box (which I will happily do if I can fit the spare tyre there), but the rectangular battery might be a problem, as it seems to obstruct the round shape of the tyre. Also, the battery cables run through the grooves and are not easy to move / bend. I took a photo to give you an idea of the space. Before I go ahead and purchase a tyre I wanted to ask if anyone had the same problem and if you have found a solution, i.e if it’s possible to fit a space saver tyre over the battery (and if so, are there any mods or extra components required ). Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Steve

IMG_2255.JPG

• 1 month later...

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi, I've just joined, so a new, Newbie! I'm also very interested in fitting a space saver spare wheel to my 2019 A4 Avant, so any help appreciated.

Same question as Les: where did you get the parts (foam insert + the spare wheel) from Steve?

Cheers,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi William & Leslie,

I know your posts were quite a while ago, but was just wondering if you have managed to source the parts needed to fit a space-saver spare wheel into your A4s. I have a 2019 A4 Avant and have very recently bought the polystyrene tool holder (with tools) from bargainhunter 3210 on eBay for £54.99 + a brand new, original spare wheel with tyre, again from eBay, seller: dalin_7124 for £139.00. Both these items are genuine Audi/VW parts bearing all the correct numbers. An alternative source for the tool holder is from eBay seller Red Brain, there are many sellers offering the spare wheel. I have not yet got around to fitting the kit since the weather has been too cold and damp! 🥶

As an after thought, I also enquired through my local Audi dealership as to whether or not I could fit a spare and was told it depends. If your car has the superior sound system, then no, cannot be fitted as no room due to sub-woofer, I think. 

Hope this may be of some help, albeit a bit late, perhaps! 😀

Regards,

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Just by way of an update on this subject. I'm in UK and just took delivery of a 2023 A4 Avant Sports Edition 40tfsi with 18" wheels. No spare wheel. My boot well looks just like the one above posted by steve335, no extra sound system kit etc in the space. I just purchased the space saver spare wheel and jack £129.95 from The Wheelshop and the foam carrier 8W0012109F from LLLParts £47.39.

Can confirm that the wheels fits on the car fine and into the boot, on the foam carrier, without a problem at all. The jack works well and all the kit fits neatly into the boot well without issue. I even found space to leave the electric inflator and gunk bottle plus a first aid kit all neatly under the floor.

https://www.thewheelshop.co.uk/product/audi-a4-b8-2008-present-day-19-space-saver-spare-wheel-and-tool-kit/

https://www.lllparts.co.uk/product/8W0012109F/vag-stowage-box-8w0012109f

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, happyh said:

Just by way of an update on this subject. I'm in UK and just took delivery of a 2023 A4 Avant Sports Edition 40tfsi with 18" wheels. No spare wheel. My boot well looks just like the one above posted by steve335, no extra sound system kit etc in the space. I just purchased the space saver spare wheel and jack £129.95 from The Wheelshop and the foam carrier 8W0012109F from LLLParts £47.39.

Can confirm that the wheels fits on the car fine and into the boot, on the foam carrier, without a problem at all. The jack works well and all the kit fits neatly into the boot well without issue. I even found space to leave the electric inflator and gunk bottle plus a first aid kit all neatly under the floor.

https://www.thewheelshop.co.uk/product/audi-a4-b8-2008-present-day-19-space-saver-spare-wheel-and-tool-kit/

https://www.lllparts.co.uk/product/8W0012109F/vag-stowage-box-8w0012109f

Hi Mark,
I haven't been on the forum for quite a while and was very interested to hear about your sucess in getting a space-saver spare + kit for your A4. Is yours a B9 model? As I mentioned in my questions about obtaining the various parts I was told by my Audi dealership that I would need to have a whole different liner in the cargo area for the kit to fit, I do not have the sub-woofer fitted. I had all the correct parts but could not get them to fit, and that was with one of the techs from the dealership trying too.
I've pretty well resigned myself with having to do without the kit. So any further hints or comments would be appreciated.
All the best,
Chris

20 hours ago, Chris 747 said:

Hi Mark,
I haven't been on the forum for quite a while and was very interested to hear about your sucess in getting a space-saver spare + kit for your A4. Is yours a B9 model? As I mentioned in my questions about obtaining the various parts I was told by my Audi dealership that I would need to have a whole different liner in the cargo area for the kit to fit, I do not have the sub-woofer fitted. I had all the correct parts but could not get them to fit, and that was with one of the techs from the dealership trying too.
I've pretty well resigned myself with having to do without the kit. So any further hints or comments would be appreciated.
All the best,
Chris

Hi,

Mines brand new so a B9 I'm guessing? Do you have a pic of your boot well, empty? As I said, mines like the one pictured earlier and the foam carrier and wheel went straight in.

What's the problem with yours?

• Like 1

Hi Mark,
Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, but Easter came along! 😀Anyway, I have taken a lot of pics of my set-up as follows:

I look forward to seeing your comments. 

Cheers!

20230411_113934.jpg

20230411_113925.jpg

20230411_114002.jpg

20230411_114014.jpg

20230411_114038.jpg

20230411_114150.jpg

20230411_114202.jpg

20230411_114209.jpg

20230411_114216.jpg

Hi Chris,

Your pics look very much like mine and those in the opening post.

What exactly is your problem with fitting the spare and the circular foam carrier?

If you remove all the ancillaries ,i.e. the tool roll, rectangular foam carrier for the inflator with it's cover plate etc then it looks to me like the new items will drop straight in.

The new circular foam carrier holds most of the tools and the jack etc can be fitted into gaps.

My original foam carrier and cover plate are now left behind in the garage.

3 hours ago, happyh said:

Hi Chris,

Your pics look very much like mine and those in the opening post.

What exactly is your problem with fitting the spare and the circular foam carrier?

If you remove all the ancillaries ,i.e. the tool roll, rectangular foam carrier for the inflator with it's cover plate etc then it looks to me like the new items will drop straight in.

The new circular foam carrier holds most of the tools and the jack etc can be fitted into gaps.

My original foam carrier and cover plate are now left behind in the garage.

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the reply. As you'll see from an earlier post of mine, I had a couple of the service/tech guys from my local Audi dealership try to fit the kit (I had tried myself plus later with help from a friend too) but simply could not make it fit! I did remove all the ancillaries.

Has your car got a lidded storage box behind the rear seats as part of the moulding? Mine is shown in the first picture. 

All the best,

Chris

Hi, Yes mine is exactly the same as yours, with the same moulded storage box. See pics.

What was your problem fitting the spare?

Are you sure you had the correct wheel and not one that is too wide? Do you have any pics or details of your wheel?

IMG_20230413_140308.jpg

IMG_20230413_140318.jpg

IMG_20230413_140321.jpg

IMG_20230413_140344.jpg

Edited by happyh

Hi again, Mark,

I can't find any pics of the space-saver spare I bought & returned, or the foam carrier & tool kit & locking nut. However, the wheel I did buy was a 125/70/R19 size. I just find it so frustrating that I could not fit all the components in the space! I'm inclined to give it another go, but there again I really don't want all the faff of maybe having to return the bits.
I appreciate your time & comments, Mark.

19 hours ago, Chris 747 said:

Hi again, Mark,

I can't find any pics of the space-saver spare I bought & returned, or the foam carrier & tool kit & locking nut. However, the wheel I did buy was a 125/70/R19 size. I just find it so frustrating that I could not fit all the components in the space! I'm inclined to give it another go, but there again I really don't want all the faff of maybe having to return the bits.
I appreciate your time & comments, Mark.

Everything fits other than the foam holder for the inflator, along with it's cover. You won't be needing these once you have a spare wheel although the inflator itself and the gunk bottle will tuck under the wheel anyhow.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello,

Thanks for all the information in the posts about a 'missing' space saver wheel.

I have just received my space saver from the Wheel Shop (https://www.thewheelshop.co.uk/).  It was for a 2019 A4 Avant B9 and it fitted perfectly.  I was a little nervous about buying it, as it is difficult to measure the available space in 3D.  They were very helpful with my telephone enquiry and despatch was very quick.

I have also ordered the foam insert for the tools and I'm ready for a driving holiday in France!

IMG_20230926_115328.jpg

IMG_20230926_115300.jpg

• Like 1

Useful info, Geoff.

Where did you buy the foam insert from?

What about a tool kit? I bought mine from my local Audi dealership - jack plus jack handle - but returned for a refund as I could not fit the components, even with the help of Audi service guy! I must be doing something wrong!🤔

I'll have to look into another try. 🙂

• 1 month later...

Hi folks, seeing as I’ve just gone through the process of finding and fitting a spare space saver wheel to my A4 Avant 2.0 35 TFSi 2021 I thought I’d post some pictures of the wheel well and tire in situ, as well as where I’ve stored the jack and tools.

The wheel itself was purchased from The Wheel Shop in Manchester SKA No. WSN-A028-5X112-66-X ( you can also buy the jack and tool kit from them if you wish)

As you can see, the wheel sits perfectly in the space (after removing the foam insert for the pump and tyre repair canister)

The jack and tools are wrapped in a felt blanket and placed in the storage space under the flap between the wheel well and rear seats.

IMG_8770.jpeg

IMG_8771.jpeg

IMG_8772.jpeg

IMG_8773.jpeg

IMG_1873.png

Edited by PaulLeeds
Added photo and description of wheel
  • Like 1

Hi Paul,
Another very interesting post about the space-saver spare wheel. I thought I'd take another crack at trying to fit all the components and have ordered the wheel & toolkit from The Wheel Shop.

Where did you get your foam insert from? I believe I'll need the securing nut too. Where did you get that? Is there anything else I'll need?

All the best,

Chris

49 minutes ago, Chris 747 said:

Hi Paul,
Another very interesting post about the space-saver spare wheel. I thought I'd take another crack at trying to fit all the components and have ordered the wheel & toolkit from The Wheel Shop.

Where did you get your foam insert from? I believe I'll need the securing nut too. Where did you get that? Is there anything else I'll need?

All the best,

Chris

Hi Chris, I didn’t use a foam insert. I wrapped the jack and tools up in a felt blanket and placed them under the floor flap storage area between the wheel well and back seats. (See my photos) The securing nut is the same one that held the plastic cover for the foam insert housing the air pump and tyre repair fluid ( now removed to make room for the new wheel) Hope this helps. Good luck 🤞 

On 11/25/2023 at 10:30 AM, Chris 747 said:

Hi Paul,

All the best,

Chris

Hi again Paul,

I've got a space-saver spare wheel and have just tried fitting in. Only problem is I cannot see how to fit the black plastic cover back on, there are no slots for the cover to slide into. Here are a couple of pics. Any help appreciated.

All the best,

Chris Bryant

20231202_120130.jpg

20231202_120205.jpg

Hi Chris,

Please just take a look at the several pictures others, including myself, have posted of the spare wheel fitted.

And my reply to you on April 15:

Everything fits other than the foam holder for the inflator, along with it's cover. You won't be needing these once you have a spare wheel although the inflator itself and the gunk bottle will tuck under the wheel anyhow.

That cover doesn't need to go back in.