Headlamp functionality?

blagadán

Hello all, this is my first post, so please go easy if this issue is known to the more experienced of you! 

I recently purchased a 2011 2.0tdi A6 avant and I'm really enjoying it so far. It is a significant upgrade to my 2004 A4 Cabriolet in terms of space & comfort.

I noticed something on the A6 recently which seems a bit odd to me, and I’m hoping you can confirm if its normal or not… The car has bi-xenon low/high beams and it seems to have halogen high beams also (circled in red below). At least I'm assuming it's halogen due to the warm colour temp of the light emitted. 

The light projected from the xenon low beams is pretty good, but when I push the turn signal/high beam lever forward, the xenon shutter activates fine but the light projected from the headlights isn’t all that great.
I’ve noticed the 'halogens' only seem to light up when the high beam lever is pulled back (flash to pass) but they don’t light up with the lever pushed forward in the high beam position?? I would assume the xenon flap AND the 'halogen' lights would illuminate at the same time when high beam lever is engaged, but maybe I'm wrong... I don't know?

Are the halogen high beams for "flash-to-pass" only or do I have a problem?

This is a EU spec car and there are no fault lights on the dash.

I've googled the symptoms but I get inconclusive info. I've also done a search here, but couldn't find the exact symptom listed.

Maybe I just need to replace the xenon units?

Thanks in advance for your comments, 

Kevin

bi-xenon.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Keven,

I have the same on my 2009 (Facelift) A6, I believe it's because the xenon's do not change fast enough to meet regulations.

My only suggestion would be to check/replace the xenon bulbs (D3S i think) with better ones, but this is a bumper off job unless you're double jointed.😆

Max