A6 Fuel pump noisy

Jase1

Hello,

I have a 2019 A6 (C8) avant with the 40tdi engine. My car does a irritating humming/buzzing sound which at first i thought to be from an unbalanced AC fan but soon discovered its not as i turned the AC off, the humming persisted. I had also noted that this noise changes in tone when slightly pressing the accelerator, so it is connected to fuel supply to the engine.  I have recently discovered its source when I began using the start-stop function (which i did not used), as when the engine is stopped as i stop in traffic, the noise can be clearly heard (without beeing masked by engine noise) for 1-2 secs and then it stops to reappear again as soon as engine starts. It is clearly a pump noise and it is located under the passenger seat (my car is LHD).

before this A6 I had a Q5 and the fuel filter was located under the passenger seat but had no pump. Maybe Audi moved the primary pump to this location or set a new pump on the fuel circuit, as there is also one pump on the tank (I car hear that too). I could not find any service manual or diagrams for this car, so I cannot tell for sure.

I did not take the car to the dealer but i am planning on do it soon as this noise drives me mad.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2020 at 11:39 PM, Francisco said:

Hello,

I have a 2019 A6 (C8) avant with the 40tdi engine. My car does a irritating humming/buzzing sound which at first i thought to be from an unbalanced AC fan but soon discovered its not as i turned the AC off, the humming persisted. I had also noted that this noise changes in tone when slightly pressing the accelerator, so it is connected to fuel supply to the engine.  I have recently discovered its source when I began using the start-stop function (which i did not used), as when the engine is stopped as i stop in traffic, the noise can be clearly heard (without beeing masked by engine noise) for 1-2 secs and then it stops to reappear again as soon as engine starts. It is clearly a pump noise and it is located under the passenger seat (my car is LHD).

before this A6 I had a Q5 and the fuel filter was located under the passenger seat but had no pump. Maybe Audi moved the primary pump to this location or set a new pump on the fuel circuit, as there is also one pump on the tank (I car hear that too). I could not find any service manual or diagrams for this car, so I cannot tell for sure.

I did not take the car to the dealer but i am planning on do it soon as this noise drives me mad.

Hi,

Thanks for the note, It looks like Audi are going to install a new fuel pump, it is on back order but the service technician said it looks like they are changing the pump design due to the noice. My car is booked in again for the 10th Feb and they want it for a week!

• 2 years later...

Hi I have  the same problem with this pump ... it makes me  crazy 🤪 😜 😫  how do you think they will replace this option .. ? I'm in Greece... please write when you ha e some news 

5 hours ago, Emmanouil said:

Hi I have  the same problem with this pump ... it makes me  crazy 🤪 😜 😫  how do you think they will replace this option .. ? I'm in Greece... please write when you ha e some news 

I'd be contacting your local Audi dealer as it sounds like they're changing them under warranty. 

• 3 months later...
On 1/22/2020 at 11:39 PM, Francisco said:

Hello,

Did you get this sorted? I got  2019 a6 a few weeks ago from dealers and this noise is driving me mad! Thanks

8 minutes ago, fiz said:

Did you get this sorted? I got  2019 a6 a few weeks ago from dealers and this noise is driving me mad! Thanks

If bought within 30 days get it back to them asap as they have to fix it for you as you're entitled to a full refund up to 30 days. If it's over 30 days then speak to Audi if you're luck is on your side and have some manufacturers warranty left. 

I do have 2 years warranty, been around Europe done around 1700miles, before I picked the car up I did notice it slightly and mentioned it to them to have it fixed for when I picked it up, when I did go back the guy said something like it will go away (I just thought maybe it's been parked up a little while so will stop after a little bit of driving) but it's definitely not stopped and is still constant, exact same as Francisco above has

13 hours ago, fiz said:

I do have 2 years warranty, been around Europe done around 1700miles, before I picked the car up I did notice it slightly and mentioned it to them to have it fixed for when I picked it up, when I did go back the guy said something like it will go away (I just thought maybe it's been parked up a little while so will stop after a little bit of driving) but it's definitely not stopped and is still constant, exact same as Francisco above has

That's not on, usually these things don't just go away in my opinion. 

• 6 months later...

My local dealer said they wouldn't do anything as technically it doesn't come under warranty repair but the dealers I got it from said they would pay for it, it was working out expensive for them so they took the car themselves to fix, definitely much better now before was horrible all you could hear was the annoying noise

• 4 months later...

Hello guys,

I am about to buy Audi S6 C8 2019/11, it has 75 000 km and I think it has this annoying fuel pump sound...  it sounds like some Lady neighbor is using vacuum cleaner next door behind the wall.

Check the video.   It is terrible.  I asked Audi employees to check it out and they told me that noise is coming from the fuel pump and this pump is working fine, no need to replace... If i want to replace it it cost €700 ....  

*EDIT - you have to download the video to see the images, I cant see the video in this forum, I hear only the sound

Edited by xixao

20 hours ago, xixao said:

Hello guys,

I am about to buy Audi S6 C8 2019/11, it has 75 000 km and I think it has this annoying fuel pump sound...  it sounds like some Lady neighbor is using vacuum cleaner next door behind the wall.

Check the video.   It is terrible.  I asked Audi employees to check it out and they told me that noise is coming from the fuel pump and this pump is working fine, no need to replace... If i want to replace it it cost €700 ....  

*EDIT - you have to download the video to see the images, I cant see the video in this forum, I hear only the sound

I'd avoid it personally. 

21 hours ago, xixao said:

Hello guys,

The media attachment isn't working at all for me but I would definitely avoid it, I got mine fixed only because before picking the car up I told them I want it fixed, my local dealer didn't do it as it doesn't come under warranty but the dealer I got it from did it free, can't enjoy driving the car with that constant noise and then all the passengers also asking what is it, definitely avoid

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys, i joined the forum to ask this very question, but found this thread first. So mine is a 2019 with 17.5k on it, bought from a non Audi garage 2 weeks ago (now done over 19k oops) and its making this noise. Initially thought it was AC fan but sussed it wasnt and its identical to described here. I went to the garage today and they are going to take the car back in to investigate it, that was agreed before i read this. When they ask me to bring it in next week how should i handle the situation. I have 6 months warranty and as mentioned already have only owned for 2 weeks. 

Edited by Barry Hynd

14 hours ago, Barry Hynd said:

Hi Guys, i joined the forum to ask this very question, but found this thread first. So mine is a 2019 with 17.5k on it, bought from a non Audi garage 2 weeks ago (now done over 19k oops) and its making this noise. Initially thought it was AC fan but sussed it wasnt and its identical to described here. I went to the garage today and they are going to take the car back in to investigate it, that was agreed before i read this. When they ask me to bring it in next week how should i handle the situation. I have 6 months warranty and as mentioned already have only owned for 2 weeks. 

Hi, unfortunately they won't do anything for you, I took mine to my local dealer they said there's nothing mechanically wrong with it so it not covered under warranty, the dealer I got the car from agreed to fix the issue because I told them when I went to test drive it to sort the issue out which they didnt but they did it after a month, they did say there's technically nothing wrong with it but sorted it for me

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2023 at 12:47 PM, fiz said:

Hi, unfortunately they won't do anything for you, I took mine to my local dealer they said there's nothing mechanically wrong with it so it not covered under warranty, the dealer I got the car from agreed to fix the issue because I told them when I went to test drive it to sort the issue out which they didnt but they did it after a month, they did say there's technically nothing wrong with it but sorted it for me

Thanks for taking the time to reply, unfortunately it went into my junk folder hence the delay in response. It will be going back in soon, I will see what they say. I paid good dollar for the car compared so some others as it was immaculate so hopefully they have a bit in the kitty to help. Hopefully worst case I will see if I can do a deal where I buy the pump and they fit FOC, let's see.

I really like the car but I can hear that noise in my sleep. If that goes it will be a great car.......Other than the lack of storage! My Skoda Superb had a generous centre armrest storage, a big ashtray that you could use, bigger door pockets, and overhead box for sunglasses. The Audi lacks on that, small detail but makes a difference as there really isn't much space to put anything.