2012 A3 Sport - indicator fault

Sportique

Hello, we have an intermittent fault with the indicators on our 2012 A3 Sport. On selecting right-turn, sometimes the LEFT lamps flash FIRST (once, maybe twice), before the right lamps flash.

Recently we had a major issue with most dash lights coming on - like a Xmas tree - though the car drove normally! The auto electrician found a poor weather seal on a multi-pin plug/socket

(like a fool I did not ask him where), he said the pins were corroded - he cleaned it all up and all was fine. Now we have the indicator issue, I'm thinking "I wonder if the indicator wiring runs through this multi-pin?" - seems to me the first place to look again.

However, there may be an inherent Audi weakness - steering column switch? flasher unit sticking?

Thanks for any comments/suggestions

David.

Given that the connector you mentioned is known to have corroded pins and a defective seal, that has got to be the first place to look for a fault. As far as I know the only inherent weakness in the electrical system is the instrument & warning light cluster on the dashboard. Whether that is the location of your multi pin connector I do not know.

Hello David,

Without knowledge of your previous issue, the current symptoms would be classic indicator stalk problems, but such issues can be difficult to accurately diagnose without inspecting the car and having the right meters etc. to conduct some tests. 

If this were mine, I would be getting in touch with your trusted auto electrician and getting him to assess the issue. OK it may cost a few shillings, but trial and error replacements can be even more costly. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks Clifford and Gareth both very positive replies. I had assumed because the auto electrician was talking about a "weather seal" that this particular multi-pin was somewhere under the bonnet - eg bulkhead or fuse/relay box connector etc.

However, you are right Gareth - I have already placed a call to the auto electrician and am waiting for his reply. Like you I suspect the steering column stalk.

I had also heard that the A3 post-2010 no longer has a separate flasher unit???but I know nowt 'bout this.

The outcome will be for the 'lece to determine,.

In the meantime - the car has been OK for 2 days. uhh I hate intermittent faults.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for any suggestions given. The car has since behaved itself- that's over 2 weeks without the intermittent fault showing up. I suspect a poor earth, or poor connection somewhere.

If I eventually find the cause/solution I shall let you guys know

Congratulations on a friendly and helpful forum. So many forums these days are beleaguered with sarcastic, damaging or unhelpful posters.

Regards

• Like 1