End of pcp finance

Welshman307

Hi everyone,

Am coming to end of the finance agreement and it looks as if my best option is to return the car to the finance company but I have a few worries.

I understand they come out and check condition of the car and will charge you for any damage but how fussy are they. Apart from one chipping mark on bonnet and one mark on one alloy it’s in perfect condition but there is only around 1000miles left on the tyres so not sure how much they might charge me.

Any advice from someone who has gone through this would be welcomed 

Hello Dyfed from the Homeland, 

I think you are wise to consider the condition of the car at the handover point. There have been horrendous tales of ‘charges for damage’. 

I would anticipate they will charge you for refurbishing the one damaged alloy. They would most likely have tried to sell you a wheel (and tyre) damage insurance to cover such things. 

General bodywork:- I would say that from your description you should be OK there. 

Tyres:- You raise a very valid point here, and with 1K miles of tread left, it sounds that they are really on the borderline of being illegal. From their point of view (rightly?) they can argue that they must ensure that the car must have a minimum of three mm of remaining tread at the point of sale, so it would not surprise me that they will want some allowance for your worn tyres. I think you have to look at this Dyfed from the point of view, that you wouldn’t buy it from them with tyres with your current tread levels. 

Let’s hope this is a pessimistic view. 

Mr. Sinclair’s group? 

Kind regards,

Gareth.