Brake Noise / Grinding

Pestus

Hi,

I purchased a new Q8 in November 2019. Ever since I’ve owned the car, the brakes appear to ‘grind’ at low speed, especially when cold. They also squeal at times.

I’ve had multiple cars of this value from other manufacturers and never had this problem before (in fact, we also brought a new Q5 for my wife at the same time, and she has no issues with this). 

I’ve been back to the dealer and they claim it’s ‘normal’. Is this correct ?

I just wanted to check other peoples experience before I go back again.

Thanks 

Hello Gareth,

I’m sorry hear of your issue with this virtually new Q8, and I‘m afraid I cannot offer you any experience of this model. However, it would reasonably sound to be unexpected and indeed unacceptable? - on a vehicle of such price and expected quality. 

You say you have been back to the (supplying, I guess?) dealer, and the opinion there is that it is normal. I wonder if you have tried another dealer - if not, that would be my next port of call before escalating this issue to a higher level if necessary. 

Let’s hope other owners may offer you their experiences. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I have the same problem. Purchased an approved used, 9 months old.

The vehicle has been in 3 times now and is with the dealer at present. 
I’m looking for trends. 
To date, Cleaned everything up and noise still present. Plenty of meat on pads and discs clean/minimal wear.

Second visit, changed pads, noise disappeared and exactly 7 days later returned. 
Third visit, changed discs and pad, again noise disappeared and yet again returned after 7 days. 
If “normal” why is the noise disappearing when new components are installed for the noise to return when/if components are “bedding” in. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 4/11/2020 at 2:25 PM, Steve Q said:

Did Audi ever get to the bottom of this for either of you? 

Cheers

Steve

Hello Steve, sorry for delay in replying. Audi didn’t come up with any solutions and tried a process of elimination; pads, discs then it was due a full caliper change the week we went into look down and that didn’t go ahead. In my opinion it’s definitely a ambient temp brake noise. As the warm weather arrived the noise subsided unless early in the morning. 
I had a few other issues such as erratic idling when in gear and foot on the brake. Boot lock failed and wouldn’t “lock in” final close position and boot opened in transit a few times. 😂

A hit/miss with my windows on occasion and would be all over the place In various open positions when I unlocked the car.
basically learnt to fully open them then put them up. Other than that it drives 😂😂 

to be honest I’ve lost all faith in it and actually in my final week to make up my mind if I wish to return or not as I went down the rejection route and my complaint was upheld.  

• 4 months later...

Hey I have the same problem with my Q8 as well.  Terrible grinding noise at low speeds and especially when cold.  Dealer said there's no problem it's normal... me not to sure need to take it back.

Also had an engine failure in June2019 and got the car back in Sep2019 with a new engine. 

• 9 months later...
On 8/16/2020 at 6:30 AM, RobR6R1 said:

Same issue here and the car also had the engine failure, central door lock issues, and the ungodly brake squeal as well.

Audi would NOT replace our brakes and standard "normal" response as well. 

It sounds like a pattern here...

Hello Steve, sorry for delay in replying. Audi didn’t come up with any solutions and tried a process of elimination; pads, discs then it was due a full caliper change the week we went into look down and that didn’t go ahead. In my opinion it’s definitely a ambient temp brake noise. As the warm weather arrived the noise subsided unless early in the morning. 
I had a few other issues such as erratic idling when in gear and foot on the brake. Boot lock failed and wouldn’t “lock in” final close position and boot opened in transit a few times. 😂

A hit/miss with my windows on occasion and would be all over the place In various open positions when I unlocked the car.
basically learnt to fully open them then put them up. Other than that it drives 😂😂 

to be honest I’ve lost all faith in it and actually in my final week to make up my mind if I wish to return or not as I went down the rejection route and my complaint was upheld.  

• 2 months later...
On 11/3/2021 at 5:52 PM, Chris Strasinski said:

I have exactly the same with my 18 month old Q8. Took the car (bought new) back to the dealership with grinding brakes within 6 months and 6000 miles and the pads were reluctantly replaced foc (they tried to charge me £2k). NOW THEY ARE GRINDING AGAIN. Particularly bad in start up. I feel I have another difficult meeting with Audi ahead of me. Not acceptable.

• 1 year later...

2019 Q*

Same problem 3 months after owning the brakes started to grind

Took it in the said it was from the car sitting to long at home due to COVID Noise cause by rust on the rotors

Returned again at 16,000KM same issue they said its the rust I could change the brakes and rotors at my expense about $ 4,000.00 cAN it was not a safety No warranty

Returned again at 31,000KM same problem now I was getting concerned about the safety as it was effecting the braking same response

Returned again at 47,000KM same problem getting worse and again concern about safety. The said time for new brakes and rotors replaced them charged me $ 2,000.00 Can

The problem is gone at the moment im hoping it does not return again too soon

The whole experience has spoiled the enjoyment of this car my wife does not even want to ride with me    

Hi

I've had this on most of my Audi's but especially the Q5 and the Q3 models. It's not a safety issue but the noise is caused by crap materials used for the discs and pads. The grinding is especially noticeable from cold/first start and can even turn heads of pedestrians as it sounds like metal to metal

You think you're buying a premium product but believe me you're not. If you replace the parts it will happen again down the line as they use the same parts that cause the noise in the first place. There are no modified parts just the same old crap they use from new. Sorry but its a fact. I worked in Audi warranty for years 

Never had any brake noise on my wifes VW Caddy at all