Rear heated window

Simmy1

Hi

Been told by audi the rear window is the problem(see earlier post ) can this be repaired or will it require new window.i have tried to attach pic of window showing damage but wont upload any ideas how i can post the pics 

Hello Carl,

So did you follow earlier advice and get the rear screen heating element tested for continuity of the element, and it was found to be at fault? 

If so, whoever has diagnosed this problem, should be able to give you a fair idea of where the break is. Certainly with the older types, the element was inside-surface mounted, and was susceptible to damage if say something was loaded into the car and the hatch closed against it. Current technology with these things ?? - but may still be the same. If so, you used to be able to paint on repair solution to bridge the break. 

Could you come back to us once you’ve got some more information? 

Kind regards, 

Gareth. 

Hi yes there is to much damage so having window replaced as more practical option.would have needed 3/4 kits auto windscreen have done it for £244 inc vat for the rear window thats tinted.

Just had a call auto windscreens now cant supply window as its damaged but i can pay an additional cost of £126 so cancelled the job and will try the repair a second one from a breakers if 169 but rather have new if i have to 

Sorry Carl, it’s probably me, but I’m not at all sure what you are saying/meaning about ‘having widow replaced .......can’t supply window as it’s damaged...but can pay an additional cost....’ 

Hi they gave me a price but then txt to say the initial supplier had the window but was damaged and didnt know when they would have any more. The new supplier had one but at the additional cost 

• 2 months later...

Hi despite a new window a number of garages diagnosing the fault remains so frustrating.

Looks like it will have to go to audi at stupid prices 

Hello Carl,

So to clarify the situation:-

You told us that the original window heating element was damaged in a number of places - to an extent where your only option was to have a replacement fitted. 

You have now had the screen replaced with a new one, but the the HRW still doesn’t work. 

You tell us you have had a ‘number of garages’ trying to diagnose why, but they ( how many garages?) have all failed to find out why. 

You are now going to consider taking the car to Audi for them to find out why it isn’t working, and presumably rectify the fault/s found. 

The story unfolds that although a simple visual examination of the heating element showed it to be damaged, it was assumed that that was the only fault with the whole system. Turns out, that assumption was incorrect. 

You might not know, but did the garage carryout a simple test to confirm the heating element was getting a full 12 volt supply and the earth was adequate? 

If this were mine, I would be pulling back the flexible harness cover off the section of cabling which runs out of the body and into the hatch - a common site for finding broken/damaged wires due to many years of opening and closing the tailgate. It’s always worth doing this even though you must measure 12v at the element, since a wire may still have a very basic remaining contact to satisfy the test meter, but not support the current necessary to operate the HRW. 

Have you considered investing in an hour’s services of a trusted auto electrician? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi gareth

2 auto electricians have checked it unfortunately the ecu wont store the fault.as it works when first starting after you enter the car but before driving off.and when the stop start kicks in but again as you drive off both 12v cigarette lighter and window stop working.

I have been told 

Possible auto stop start prob

Loose connection

Something to do with voltage drop

Just seems to frustrating it was a auto electrician who said only audi could prob identify and fix it

Thanks Carl,

Have a look at the harness where I said - if only to eliminate that as the cause. Doesn’t cost anything to inspect it! 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Will do but no idea which covering you mean would it be on the right as there is all the fuses etc on the right hand side of the boot ?.and what am i looking for.i know everything was checked by meter ..

Hello Carl,

Open the tailgate and look up - probably near the hinges - for where the harness links from the body into the tailgate. It will run in a fluted cover over the wires, and a shaped grommet secured into the body and tailgate. Peel the grommet out from either and pull the flexible cover back to reveal the cables that run through it. 

I you are unsure, or not confident,  then I would return the car to the auto electricians. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Decided to let an electrician to have a look at it only £60 for diagnostic it may be a loose connection worked intermittently today as i drove over bumpy road so hoping its a cheap fix

6 hours ago, Simmy1 said:

Decided to let an electrician to have a look at it only £60 for diagnostic it may be a loose connection worked intermittently today as i drove over bumpy road so hoping its a cheap fix

Fingers crossed, please keep us posted 🙂

Hello Carl,

You plan sounds fine. Is this a different autoelectrician from the other two? 

It sounds like you and the auto electricians you have used are hanging their hats on the importance of diagnostic checks. Not always a good principle to me - in preference to good old voltage and resistance checking. 

Did you, or anyone else check that wiring harness after. It would be my port of (eliminating) call, particularly since understandably suspect this may be associated with loose connections. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.