reliability and maintenance costs of an Audi A6

dord94

Hi guys,

so I'm considering buying a 2018 A6 Black edition. One thing I've been looking into is reliability and maintenance costs.

I've done as much searching around as possible before posting here and I can't really get a gauge on either of these things. On one hand I've read tons of threads and forums saying how reliable Audi's are, and on the other I've read how unreliable they are.

Can anyone with experience of owning an A6 give me an indication of how reliable they are? Also, with yearly servicing and maintenance, what is the rough cost of maintaining this car? 1k / 2k per year? I want to keep this car for at least 5 years, but I can't justify spending that much money on something that'll just be a money sink.

any help is much appreciated.

I have had my A6 allroad for one year now. Just after purchase I paid for a full "longlife" service that included several "additional" items ... air con recharge, Brake fluid replacement, wiper blades replaced...  which came to £740.00 The previous owner had paid for the gearbox oil change at £200.00 ....  sounds a lot I know .. but I have literally done NOTHING else in the year  / 6000 miles I've had it, and not due another service for a year yet.... so I think it quite reasonable. Car is used to tow an 1800 Kg caravan most weekends, and has been a dream to use and own.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Entwood said:

I have had my A6 allroad for one year now. Just after purchase I paid for a full "longlife" service that included several "additional" items ... air con recharge, Brake fluid replacement, wiper blades replaced...  which came to £740.00 The previous owner had paid for the gearbox oil change at £200.00 ....  sounds a lot I know .. but I have literally done NOTHING else in the year  / 6000 miles I've had it, and not due another service for a year yet.... so I think it quite reasonable. Car is used to tow an 1800 Kg caravan most weekends, and has been a dream to use and own.

Hey thanks for that!

I'm between an A6, which i'll be test driving tomorrow, and an BMW 530E. I've looked into costs of maintaining a BMW but they're absolutely astronomical!

while I have you... I see there's a 190BHP variant of the A6, the 530E is 250 ish BHP but 180 when the battery dies. 

Do think the A6 could match the full 250 BHP? I drove the 530E and loved it purely for the speed it could go at. I know if i wait 12 hours I'll have my answer, but I'm just too excited to find out! what's the a6 like when you put the foot down?

"Whats the A6 like when you put your foot down ?" ..... pulls like a train and keeps on going ... cost me two speeding fines in France in the first month of ownership !! Mine is a tad older than what you are testing I think , but I don't grumble at the performance in any way ... and it doesn't even notice the 'van on the back !