2012 Q5 Electric Tailgate

Steveblackshark

Hi, the tailgate on my 2012 Q5 stops short and just at the right height to hit my head on; which I do repeatedly. I tried the trick of pushing it up to the required height and holding the close button until the lights flash but it doesn’t remember the setting. Does this mean I need to replace the hydraulic struts?

Hello Steve,

’...replace the struts....’? I would not think so, since your symptom description points to the tailgate not opening to the required height, rather than opening to that height, then dropping back. 

Daft question:- Have you replaced the battery on this car in recent times? I ask, since I am aware that with certain other marques, you have to ‘reset’ the electric windows etc. when the battery is replaced. 

If not, it sounds like a trip to the dealer/independent for recalibration?-  unless someone else has the trick answer.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi Gareth, thanks for your reply, it makes sense that if the struts were failing the tailgate would drop. I’ve had the car for 12 months so I’ve not had the battery put. I spoke to a local VW/Audi workshop and they confirmed that there may be a setting in VCDS that could be altered. Cheers. Steve

Thanks Steve,

Appreciate your view and explanation why you possibly suspect the struts are at fault, but repeating - your explanation points to the tailgate simply not lifting to its maximum height, rather than doing so, then falling back - which could have suggested strut issues. 

So really, it works out as suspected and mentioned - a trip to the dealer for possible recalibration. 

Perhaps you could let us know how you get on Steve. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.m

Update

Tried the manual push and press the button in to get the lights to flash. Have made things infinitely worse now; when I press the button on the key the tailgate opens about an inch and then shuts itself 😌 wish I’d just left well alone now!

Ok found out what is wrong. The cam that lifts the hinge had popped out but with my continued attempts to resolve the problem with the button I ended up shearing the bracket that anchors the motor to the body. Looks like £3.25 for a new bracket so hopefully soon mended. I’ll get the guys to also set my desired height using VCDS. Thanks for all the suggestions.

• Like 1