Vibration help needed

Apsmale

Car drives fine around town, as soon as I hit motorway 60/70mph get vibration from front end, unsure if it’s from wheels or something leading to the wheels. I have a feeling it’s mainly drivers side. It’s there when accelerating but increases a lot through braking and can really feel it through the brakes. The brakes work fine and I have recently changed discs and pads through thinking this was caused by warped discs but clearly not. Any ideas? 
thanks

Hello Andrew, 

This car is trying to tell you something, and is making a good job of it! 

It sounds as if you believed the discs were causing this (even though the vibration was occurring when not braking?)

If this were mine, I would be urgently getting the car checked, first at a local reliable tyre depot, particularly since this sounds a classic case of tyre distortion/failure. 

Perhaps you could let us know how you get on. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth. It’s been to the local tyre depot and they’ve found nothing. It’s booked into my trusted garage next week for this and a service. Just hope they can find the answer. It’s annoying taking it in though and only being able to give that kind of description and not knowing what it is. Or any idea at all what it is haha. 

Hello Andrew,

Thanks for coming back. My next move would be to swop front wheels to back to see if there is any difference. 

Probably nothing to do with it, but just as a matter of interest - are the front tyres matching makes (what make?) and treads wear? 

Discs and warping? 

So called warping can be as a result of the hub to disc interface being corroded on the hub face, resulting in the disc not sitting properly. It surprising how this is often overlooked and the rusty or just knocked off and the new ones tapped back on. In effect, the discs aren’t warped at all, but the symptom suggests they are.

Keep us posted Andrew.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

p.s. Of course, the investigation now needs to get deeper and indeed looking at suspension, braking and steering. 

Just to update. Cars been into the garage today for full service and to sort out the problem. It was sticky/ ceased  callipers In the end. So a full new front set of brakes yay. Fingers crossed all sorted now. 

• Like 1