1995 Audi Coupe 2.6 Water Problem

John Martin

Hi.

Can anybody help with a water issue under the passenger  Carpet which gets saturated when it rains even if car is not used for a few days (Rear is worse)

I had a new windscreen fitted about 18 months ago and have been back to Autoglass and they checked and  did a dye test and assure me it is not coming from the screen.

They have also checked the drains for the door & sun roof.  

As I said it originates from under the carpet but only goes to a level below the seals so it is not coming from above ie windows or door seals.

The water is clean so don't think its a rubber bung issue underneath as the water would be dirty.

Appreciate any ideas.

Regards

Hello John,

Sorry to hear of your problem. Water ingress is really annoying, and tends to downgrade an otherwise nice car. 

Reasons? Could be blocked drains in the plenum chamber (if it has one). If it does, it will be the chamber which is below the ‘vents’ forward of the windscreen. You usually have to remove the plastic section around the vent/s - which could be under the bonnet, and check if there is any water/dampness in the bottom. There should be drain holes at the bottom , but these can block up with small leaves and other debris over the years - the trapped water will then tend to run into the car via. the bulkhead. 

Other possibility? - Does the car have a sunroof? If it does, it becomes a valid suspect. If I doesn’t, your are lucky, since they can become a real pain! 

Kind regards,

Gareth.