Needing new tyres for Audi A3 8v saloon

Stratt98

Needing new tyres, been looking at:

Toyo prizes tr1

Uniroyal rain sport 5

Anyone used these tyres and how they perform only use the car for daily driving to work and back

Hello Marcus, 

Any reason you are possibly restricting your voice to these brands - competitively priced? 

I have been using Continent Contact 5 on an older A3 (c£70 for 16 inch) and they seem reasonable enough, but not as long lasting as the Michelin we used to use. In my experience in over 150k miles in this car, Michelin have given the best miles/£. 

Not sure of any of this helps. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Will check these ones out and maybe consider them, just looking for a set of tyres that will last a while I know it depends on how you drive and the conditions but just wanting to purchase tyres that are going to last more than 5k miles 

Wow Marcus - ‘......to last more than 5k miles....’ 

Even the cheapest budget tyres should last more than that, unless driven very, very enthusiastically. 

As I said, if you want tyres to give the best? mileage (in relation to how driven) then I would still maintain that Michelin are certainly worth considering.

OK, they are more expensive to buy, but when judged against the mileage likely to be obtained ( mileage/£) then they may become of interest. 

If your driving style could be looked upon as being enthusiastic, then of course road holding considerations will obviously also need to be considered. 

If your driving style isn’t enthusiastic, and your car isn’t fitted with budget brand tyres, and you are still getting less than 5K miles, then I would be looking at the wear patterns to ensure all the geometry is within reasonable limits. 

Perhaps you could fill in a little more detail. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

The 5k was just a number I threw in there, I average around 300miles per week traveling two and from work, and the odd run about on weekend, just looking for tyres that are going to last a while and are good in all conditions

Thanks Marcus,

As I’m sure you will appreciate, trying to give sound and meaningful advice on any motoring forum will be highly influenced by the amount of detailed information the poster adds - frequently not enough in the these days of minimum word usage texts etc.- since those trying to help do not enjoy the benefit of actually examining the car.

Now if the given detail is known to be wrong, then obviously no one has got any chance of offering sensible advice! 

Sorry Marcus, but you still don’t tell us the make of the tyres you currently use and actually how long they are lasting, and whether the wear patterns are even. 

Could you do us a kindness and walk around the car and let us know what make of tyre you have on each wheel as a start? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

I have only had the car 3months now and had just over 3mm on the fronts and over 4mm on the rears, i know that the fronts are continental but don't know version, and the rears have a mix of continental and Dunlop again not sure on the models. I fully understand that the info I provided wasn't the best as I haven't really listed what is currently in use

• Like 1

Thanks Marcus, 

So it would seem you have worn 1.4mm of tread off the 3mm it was when you bought it 3 months ago - assuming your tyres are still just legal at the 1.6mm tread level. You will have covered just under 4,000 miles in this time, so with a bit of maths, a pro rata estimate of the life of a c7mm tread new tyre would be around 20K miles - pretty good in my book Marcus. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

There you are Marcus.

Always worth sitting down, giving it a good coat of thinking about, mix in a little bit of calculation, and happy days as you say now!