A3 DSG DMF & Clutch pack need changing - worth it?

gunnag

I own a 2007 Audi A3 Sportsback 2.0 TDI with a DSG Auto box, the engine is the BKD type and has covered approx, 170k miles. I have owned the car for 10 years and have performed all my own servicing including changing the Cam-belt & water-pump at 130k and replacing the DSG oil and filter at 40K intervals. Engine oil and filter has been replaced with correct VW504/507 spec every 8K of so.

Recently the car has been making a rattling noise at idle and when slowing down, there is also a lumpy tick-over and I can sometimes hear the starter struggling despite a new battery.

The rest if the car runs fine with good electrics, AC, ABS, Power Steering etc.

I contacted a local garage who specialize in DSG Gearboxes and their all in quote was £1300 to install a new DMF Flywheel including new clutch pack and oil etc.

Whilst I'm fond of the car and its in reasonable shape, would others justify spending £1300 to sort out the DMF? 

Seems too me that £1300 is virtually the price if the car, so I could swap it in for something newer, alternately if I do pay to get the work done then the car will keep going for a few more years.

Thoughts and comments welcome.

Hello Adrian,

Until someone more knowledgeable that me on this comes along, ‘standard type clutch arrangements on automatic gearboxes’?? 

Probably exposing my ignorance here - but no worries! Never too old to learn. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

£1300 may be the value of your car but what will it cost to buy a comparable replacement vehicle? The value as a seller is always much less than the value as a buyer.

The DSG and DMF have dodgy reputations from what I have read on this forum, but I have no personal experience of the problems, and I hope not to as I too have a similar transmission. Sorry I can't advise on that score.

Thanks for the replies, I think I;m considering buying a replacement car instead of repairing the DSG box as I probably need a change after 10 years of ownership.

For info the DSG (direct Shift Gearbox) system comprises of a 6 speed gearbox with a twin clutch arrangement and electronic control system. The system automatically uses the twin clutch to seamlessly change gears based on throttle input and other factors. A DMF flywheel is used to smooth out imbalances in the drivetrain much like a manual car but the clutch is a multi plate arrangement a bit like a motorbike. Its a good system and works well but the DMF flywheel wears out the same as on manual cars. I guess I'm lucky to have done over 170k miles without issue.

On the other hand I guess that £1300 isnt too bad if it keeps running for a while longer, decisions, decisions 🙂

• Like 1