2008 A3 2l TDI - oil pressure warning after oil change

John Nash

My partner has a 2l TDI quatro. 2008.

We needed to change the oil and stuff.
I've been doing this sort of stuff for years, so didn't expect any issues.

Getting the undertray off was a pig, as couldn't get the car high enough to comfortably get at its rear torx which were cranked up tight.
I drained the oil and refilled with 4.3L of 507 spec.

Got the cap off the oil filter and then found they had sent me the wrong one, so I had to put the old one back in. Similarly with the fuel filter.
Two right ones on order ( I know what they look like now).

It took a fair few cranks to refill the fuel filter ( I assumed - as I had to take it out to measure it to order the right one - alot of fuel went over the rags) and I got the "oil pressure warning" on dash ( I Looked that up afterwards and it's normal if you crank a bit without firing). I drove it up to our other parking (maybe less than a minute).
The car won't now start - it cranks but doesn't fire. It puts up a oil pressure warning.
I checked the filters and the oil filter housing is dry inside - I am not sure if it should be or not.
The oil level is where it should be - no catastropic leaks overnight.

What have I missed ?? DId I need to prime the oil filter housing or something ?
I had to disconnect the sensor just right of the oil filter to get that out ....

I am in so much trouble .... she's about to kill me.

John.

Can you slacken a fuel connection as close as possible to an injector, or even remove the injector completely, and then crank the engine to see if diesel is being delivered? I have never done this so I don't know how practical it is to do on your engine, but it was a recognised test years ago. That would prove whether the pumps are working properly. Hold a rag over the injector to prevent fuel spraying everywhere.