WHEEL SIZE HELP NEEDED

nubiann

Hi Everyone.

Hope everyone are staying safe in these trying times.

I have a 2020 A7 50TDI Black Edition in Turbo Blue on order although subject to a factory closure delay!!

As probably many have experienced when using the configurator, Audi have really constrained the buying experience and choice so much so that I have just one 20" alloy wheel choice which I don't want but forced to choose.

I plan on fitting aftermarket 21" Black Audi replica wheels when I eventually get the car. I would be grateful if anyone could advise me if there are any problems using 21"  9.5J wheels as opposed to 8.5J Audi 20" or 21" and what the difference is. I have seen enthusiast sites where previous gen (C7) A7's have been retro fitted with 21" and even bigger 22" wheels 22", even used spacers on lowered cars and still have no real issues. Am I being overly cautious and should I just go ahead and purchase my chosen 21" 9.5J  wheels.

Manay Thanks for taking the time to read my post' and for any advice offered.

Hello Gez,

To give meaningful advice regarding increasing wheel diameters, you would really need to let the forum know the width and profile of the factory tyres, and the same information regarding the tyres which will be fitted to the larger diameter wheels. The logic is that the combined outside dia. of the new wheel and tyre must be the same as the factory fitted wheels and tyres, to ensure the gearing remains the same.

You would also need to inform your insurers that you are fitting non standard wheels to the car - wheels which are a factory option. I would also question the effect on warranty claims. 

I understand car values have plummeted since the Covid 19 situation. Are you really going to proceed to purchase this car? If so - at the  previously agreed price? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nubiann,  

Check on ‘wheelsize.com’. Enter your model etc. And it will display the wheel and tyre size for your car and also the Factory option sizes for your car. Stick to these sizes when buying your replacements and you should avoid any fitment issues and means you will avoid going outside the original ‘rolling circumference’ of the factory wheels. 

Beware that 8.5j to 9.5j jump will reduce the clearance between the wheel/tyre and the suspension strut. You can compensate for this by fitting a wheel with a smaller ET (distance from hub face to wheel centre line) which will make the wheel protrude further, but this can make the tyre stick out past the wheel arch.

Basically, if you move outside of the factory option sizes listed for your car then you have to compensate by changing tyre size and/or wheel ET if you want to stay within factory limits.

I am guessing you should be looking for 

255/35ZR21 8.5Jx21 ET30 5x112

Hope this helps. (For reference only of course)

• Like 1

Hello Colin,

All very useful information, which should assist others considering what Gez was enquiring about.

Shame the original poster doesn’t seem to have revisited the forum since posting his enquiry.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

1 hour ago, Magnet said:

Hello Colin,

All very useful information, which should assist others considering what Gez was enquiring about.

Shame the original poster doesn’t seem to have revisited the forum since posting his enquiry.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth. 

I regret  not having checked the Forum for a while, I am a key worker and have been rather busy for a while.

I didnt receive an email notification until today that I had missed a reply. I can only apolgize.

Not sure whats happening with my A7 order. My wifes business has been closed now for 5 weeks and our local Audi dealership is closed.

My deal was struck before look down and my agreement on my current Audi is at an end. There is worrying signs that the financial impact on new car buyers like me coukd be catastrophic but set against the terrible loss of life going on to Covid-19 going on about my new car is somehow crass.

I am grateful to anyone who has offered advice around my original post but it seems somehow hollow at the moment.

Take care fellow Audi appreciators

Be kind to one another and stay safe

Gez

• Like 1