Cam Belt

Metalgaff

Hello all, I own a 2015 A3 1.4 TFSI, and is due for a cam belt change, I've had a quote from a local garage, i asked will you be changing the water pump as well as the belt, they said the water pump is not driven by the cam belt, and doesn't need to be replaced, is this true on this model? Many thanks, peter.

I was always of the view that the cambelt and water pump had to be changed at the same time. Otherwise of the pump leaks at a later date then the belt will have to be changed again. 

Cheers

Steve

Hello Peter, 

I must confess that the 1.4 TFS engine does not come under the umbrella of my experience, but as Steve says, the norm is water pumps are are usually driven by the cambelt where a belt is fitted rather than a chain. 

Personally, I would be seeking independent advice on this - your main dealer parts department ( not service) should advise if they are open. 

One further, most important consideration is what make of parts are your local garage going to use. Have you asked them? Using local garages may be OK, but generally, they use aftermarket parts available from the local motor factors - not generally a good broad brush policy to accept. 

Are you getting your local garage to do this because they are cheaper? It might be worth considering that this critical apllication is not a price is king job. If you want a half way house price then I would ask at a local independent.

Personally, I would only use genuine Audi parts ( available at discount)  for this critical application, and if the water pump is indeed driven by the cambelt, then renew it, but only with a main dealer one - no one exceptions. 

Worth considering renewing the auxiliary belt at the same time. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

22 hours ago, Steve Q said:

I was always of the view that the cambelt and water pump had to be changed at the same time. Otherwise of the pump leaks at a later date then the belt will have to be changed again. 

Cheers

Steve

Thank you steve for your view, regards Peter.