2.0TDi BRE Problem Areas.

B7 man

Hello,

I purchased a Audi A4 B7 2.0TDi Saloon 8 weeks ago. Due to serious ill health the car has just sat from when the delivery driver parked it in the car park. It is a 2007 2.0 TDi engine model. The question I have is the car has covered 139k miles. I have read up about the problems the engine can have have. What I would like to ask is what key comments of the the engine should be replaced and upgraded so it does not suffer with component failure.

i would like to know the parts that should be replaced and the best place to purchase them from.
The wing mirrors fitted to the car are painted Silver, but the car body colour is Mauritius Blue. Should the wing mirrors be in the Blue or is the Silver correct.

lastly, the rear view mirror is just the standard one fitted at present. Can this be swapped out and the auto dimming mirror fitted and is the wiring in place in the loom at the hole where the rear view mirror fits.

If you require any further information please advise.

Thank you in advance.

Stuart.

Welcome to the forum Stuart, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch. Did the car come with full/part service history?

I ask as the history of the car may help in deciding what may/may not need doing. 

First thing I would be looking bat is when a full service was carried out along with then the cambelt and water pump was last changed. 

Injectors are a known weakness on this engine but I personally wouldn't change them untill they fail. 

Also it's worth checking turbo boost hoses, radiator hoses etc for any splits. 

You can get oil pump drive problems with this engine. The oil pump is driven off the balancer shaft unit by a hexagonal shaft (imagine a 6mm allen key with the 'bent' end cut off), which can wear smooth. This problem is quite rare though, and you dont have to expensively replace a substantial part of the engine to repair it. There are upgraded balancer what's available. Cost:

"Only prob with going this route is weather to change the oil pump and sprocket at the same time, further cost of circa 300 quid for parts alone."

Wing mirrors have probably been painted silver to give an rs4 look. You could changee the caps to blue but it's personal preference really. 

also if you're trying to find what options your came with when new there is a build sticker in the spare wheel well and in the inside front t page if the service book which gives all the codes. Here's a decoder to help you find what options your car has: 

http://prsearch.planetvag.com

Hope I've helped 🙂

Cheers

Steve

Thank you Steve Q.

The car did have a good bit of service history and it has had a cam belt kit and water pump fitted the middle of last year. There is no mention of the oil pump. To be honest, the car will hardly do any miles due to myself having various serious health issues which means I can no longer work. My way of thinking was to prevent a major engine fault that could destroy the engine. Looking at it, due to the low miles I would be doing in a year, then it would better to leave the engine as is. I was just thinking that due to the horror stories of the oil pump failing to replace it. The cost of the new up graded pump unit is around £350.00 plus fitting which is a good amount of money. I’ll leave the existing pump in as it is. Is there a specific mileage that I should take into consideration of replacing the pump?

The turbo did have a leak test carried out which it passed all ok.

One thing I did notice was that there was no mention of the glow plugs being replaced. I’ll keep an eye on it in case poor starting crops up.

One issue I will have is the battery will probably be dead now. I was going to replace the battery if it was the case but apparently the new battery requires to be matched to the car. Do you happen to know how to go around this. I have an hand held OBD2 device but not sure if this would cover the matching process. Or is it the case the battery can just be fitted to the car and it will operate ok.

Lastly, I have the Audi Navigation Plus unit fitted in the car at present which I will be swapping out for a Pioneer Double Din head unit. Doe these normally come with a CD multi disc changer fitted as standard. I checked in the glove box but nothing was there so was unsure if it would be fitted else where in the car.

And last question, does the rear seats split fold down at all? I’ve only been out to the car one in 2 months so not really had a chance to give it a good looking over.

Again, thank you in advance with your previous assistance, and I look forward to having a good look around the forum.

best regards, Stuart.

43244911-C752-4138-BE9E-38C32B3B8A90.jpeg

Sounds like you've got a nicely maintained a4. There's no set mileage that the pump needs replacing, again I'd only do it once it fails. 

I'd do a battery test before changing it but thankfully it doesn't needing coding to the car. You might need to drive it a little but for the esp light and steering wheel angle sensor to reset themselves. The only problem you may have is the key might need recoding to the car after the battery change. Here's a video that'll help with reprograming:

If the CD changer isn't in the glovebox then it'll either be built into the headunit or it'll be in the boot in the passenger side compartment. 

Regarding the rear seat I believe it might have been an option to ha e the split folding seats. My advice would be to have a look to see if there are release levers at the top of the seat backs where the headrests are and on the sides of the C pillars. 

Glad I can help 🙂 

Once again, it's a very nice looking a4 👍 

Cheers

Steve

Perfect Steve. I did wonder if the key reset would be required. Once things have calmed down I’ll have a look for the CD changer. It’s not too much of an issue as I will swapping over the Audi head unit to a Pioneer Double Din unit I purchased.

All the best,

Stuart.

5 minutes ago, B7 man said:

Perfect Steve. I did wonder if the key reset would be required. Once things have calmed down I’ll have a look for the CD changer. It’s not too much of an issue as I will swapping over the Audi head unit to a Pioneer Double Din unit I purchased.

All the best,

Stuart.

Nice one 👍 

Take care

Steve