20" alloys are they a straight fit?

TwoRounds

Hi All,

Got what i hope is a pretty simple question, which is i'm looking at some 20" a6 le manns alloys, now are these a straight fit? if not what is needed if it's still possible

the wheels will be for a b8 a4 2.0 tdi.

Hello Tom,

If you are looking to replace your original wheels with non original 20 inch diameter ones and are concerned whether they will fit or not, is a bit like asking if you will get away with buying and wearing oversize shoes! The answer to that will be - probably yes - but,..........

Questions:- Diameter of original wheels and size of tyres fitted?

Are replacement 20 inch wheels genuine Audi, or aftermarket? 

Do these wheels  (secondhand?) come with tyres already fitted, and if so, what is the tyres size? 

Let’s assume the wheel stud holes are the same as your original ones - but you don’t tell us - whether they are suitable will depend on the final outside diameter of the new wheel and tyre, being the same as your current ones, so bigger dia. wheels will require much lower profile tyres to ensure the car’s gearing is not affected.

So Tom, bit of homework to do, and that’s before you inform your insurers and see how they react to fitting non standard wheels and tyres to your car. 

Perhaps you could come back to us. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi Mark, 

To try and answer a couple of your questions, the wheels my current wheels are the 18" 5 spoke alloys which are genuine  audi alloys and the tyres that are on them are 245/40/R18, now the one's i'm looking at as i said are Audi A6 Le Manns 20" they're genuine from what i can tell the part no 4H0 601 025 AB tyres on them are 255/30/R20, they're 5x112's bolt pattern like mine, the rim width on the ones i'm currently looking at is 9J, Offset is ET37 with a centre bore being 66.6mm.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Tom,

Without boring you with the maths, your current wheels and tyres will have a theoretical rolling dia. of 653mm, and the proposed 20 inch ones will be 661mm, so not significantly different. 

Obviously what you do need to bear in mind is that the ride quality of the new set up will be much harsher than it is - 30 profile tyres are akin to solid tyres! Also worth checking whether the tyres are run-flat, since if they are, that will make it even worse. 

Not for me to judge why you want these, but what you will be doing is compromising ride quality for ‘nicer looking’ wheels - which of course, you won’t be able to see, since you are inside the car! Still.....

The new wheels will be 10mm wider, so you will need satisfy yourself that you you have more than sufficient clearance to allow for this, if the offset is the same. 

Then there is the insurance consideration, which to me is a must consider factor to avoid the risk of your cover being declared null and void. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.