Driver window stuck?

KBUK

I'm having an issue with my driverside window and wing mirror adjuster.

Here is what I've tried so far.

• Replaced the switch with a new one off eBay. No luck.
  • Replaced the switch with a known working one from my other A4
  • Used a different door card to check if it was any of the connectors. no luck. (from other A4)
  • I've swapped the motors, no luck. (From other A4)
  • poked around as best I can with a multimeter to test the wiring, all appears to be OK

All other windows work, passenger and rear windows from the switch, it is just the driver window that refuses to budge. I do not hear any click or struggle from the window that would suggest a stuck window and the wires at the back on the actuators are free and move when pulled on.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Peeled back the wiring loom and found some snapped cables which were touching when pulling up to test with the multimeter but not touching when plugged into the door card. 🙂

Yeah, rejoined them with a bit of solder and heat shrink, wrapped the loom up and it is working fine again! Surprised that they have broken in the door though, rather unusual.

Thanks Steve 🙂

Hello Klyle, 

Driver’s door? - the most used. 

This sort of issue frequently occurs with the same fault in the flexible section which leads into the hatch/boot on ageing vehicles. Generally gets aggravated in cold weather when the cables are less flexible.

Of course, the driver’s door is opened and closed more frequently than the boot, so quite likely to give problems. Well found! and thanks for letting the forum know. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.