Mk1 Q7 jobs list and progress. Discussions welcome.

Rankers

Hi All,

so just on a month in ownership of a Mk1 Q7 Sline 3.0TDI. bought it for about £5.5k 2007 so not new (read 'needs a couple of jobs) - maybe a bit rushed - but odd times and needed to resolve a motor quickly.

Issues and routes of action.

1. replaced the rear washer/wiper. Easy job,load of tutorials on you tube etc.

This was corroded and seized. Made a lot of noise (so motor was trying to do something - but did nothing seized/rusted solid.

new motor from eBay, WD40 to unfreeze a bolt holding the wiper arm on - probably the most awkward bit of the job.. and it was done in about 30 mins. - only guidance I can give, is the plastic spray nozzle was also blocked - managed to get a very fine drill bit down the shafts of this and now it all works perfectly.

2. air blower motor (passenger side dashboard), squeaking.

Removed and lubricated with some lithium grease - takes about an hour due to taking time with dash and looms. - bit jiggly but certainly do-able.  See how this holds up not convinced it will be a long term fix - but certainly worked - again loads of vids and advice out there - just followed it.  (I did managed to get the housing apart - some vids just showed spraying in blindly...

3. P2112 /P2011/P2008. 

Think this will be the throttle actuators - heard they either become gunked or the plastic cogs thread over time - I have flagged this to the garage i bought the car from - hope they will resolve, if not I'll have a look and feedback. (would rather they try the engine related issue under warranty first)

4. Airbag light has come on.  

I did manage to get this to go off after jiggling yellow cable under the seat - but its on again.. again not gone too far just flagged this back to the garage will feedback shortly.

5. Im a bit bemused /confused by the air suspension

I get a green light with an arrow and its in dynamic - this does not go out - if I move it to comfort it may go out - but the whole thing seem erratoc flagging unavailable modes often. pondering if I have a compressor issue.. again flagged this to garage this weekend. (I have flagged all these issues this weekend, again if there is an issue its likely to cost so flagged them first. - (heard of kits to refresh seals etc..)

6. Bubbles in paintwork, 

I did ponder doing these myself but metallic and kingfisher blue - so instead opted for the body shop to respray all panals leavign the bonnet and roof alone. - goign in tomorrow - will paste the results!

7. FOB -

easy job just replaced the fob casing on key just makes it nice. 😉

8. Left Dash Vent replaced (fins broken) - 5 minute job.

Still pondering:

• a fuel economy or general remap.
  • Grill replacement or redye (all back)
  • LED light conversions - anyone done this any advice, heard fo some as direct replacement - unsure about errors on bus..?
  • MMI uplift I have the lowest one - TBH Bluetooth FM transmitter is working ok vs what would be a major task...

just thought Id discuss my journey so far anyone interested please feedback - any advice etc always welcomed.  🙂

31iaVdtbEbL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Sounds like you've made a good start David, hope the garage rectify the suspension, airbag and engine faults. Don't let them fob you off. 

The MMI upgrade is very expensive if you get someone to install it. 

Cheers

Steve

hi Steve, thanks for the reply.. its nice to just chew the fat as a sanity check on things sometimes.

RE: engine - Im banking/hoping on it being the throttle actuators they seem to generate a lot of discussion on cogs being plastic and subject to wear and threading.. (thats the hope as mine is an 07) - seen some repair kits(replacement plastic cogs etc) and even metal cogs (think Id still use the plastic..) but just feel it should be over to sellers in 1st instance - just impatient during this lockdown situation.. was itching to unbolt them, but cars in body shop now so I can enjoy polishing it at least.

Airbag will likely just be wiring... again can have a look into this if needs be, only just came on last day or so and the beer garden had my attention as Ive been working away and just got home.

Its the air suspension that worries me the most... it is green lit so not flashing or amber - and will sometimes go away if I can select another 'mode' but often they are just unavailable and it sits on dynamic - do we have any suspension guru's on here.... happy to look at the compressor if I need to myself and try new seals etc... but wouldn't mind getting a detailed diagnostic kit on this to check out more details, my OBD reader has only pulled codes mentioned ----VCDS seems the one - will the downloadable version do this do you know and is any generic OBD reader ok with it sure I will have to try itwith my wifi obd - but think I may need to get the USB version?

Cant say Ive heard the compressor ever, is this odd? - is the fuse hidden behind the passenger dash?)

If the car had driven / handle poorly I would be more concerned - but equally dont want compressor burning out etc if its stuck on.. - had to drive home circa 260 miles so if it could break Im sure it probably has  (would of hoped that a fuse would go to make it fail safe if that was a thing but then Id expect an amber red light?)

- anyway 1 week off looking into this at this stage. 

cheers, 🙂

Hope the engine and airbag issues are as simple as they appear. 

The compressor controls the air pressure. If it wasn't working then the car would drop to the floor. 

Cheers

Steve

Hello David,

Air suspension compressors are hard working components, and although they seldom fail catastrophically, they do suffer from wear - generally with the piston ring. Normally, these compressors are quite small and may just fail to reach an optimum pressure, and the fault light will illuminate from time to time. 

There is good news with non-Audi compressors (possibly Audi as well) in so far as you can buy replacement piston rings ( contact available for non Audi)  which generally sort out the problem. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Bagpippinandy do compressor repair kits for about £25ish. Normally the compressor gets very noisy when the piston ring is worn. I’d measure the centre of the wheel to the wheel arch on all 4 wheels to see if there is an obvious difference on one wheel then check the sensor etc on that wheel. A leaking air bag would make the car sink overnight. Does the car try to level itself Slightly if you park it on a slope then get out and lock it?

Really appreciate the conversation/help on this guys,

TBH - car is getting painted at present but only really noticed the unavailable modes last week on drive down to & home (Eastbourne to Liverpool).

I will have a better look when I get it back - but when I got into it to drop it off on monday - the front wheels where in the arches. the back was about 2 inches or so clear.. so I assume this is not normal even for dynamic - (no matter how mean the front looked). - I would say near side and offside did look (from a superficial glance) equal if that makes sense, ie both front at equal heights(low), both rear at equal heights (about two inches). (not like my avatar picture anymore!)

As I say I'll take a better look / measurements and pics asap. please bear with me on this!

cheers, D.

Yes, that’s the contact I have, and he operates via. eBay. Dependent on the compressor being located in a friendly place to get at, I would be tempted to change the piston ring as a planned maintenance item anyway - if Andy does one for yours, 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

cheers - went the paint shop today to drop off some badges post painting - they asked if it had issues as they couldnt raise the front... (back apparently did rise)

Check the level sensor on the upper front arm on both sides. If it’s come loose and fallen out the car will think it is higher than it actually is so will lower the front to try and level itself

got the car back today - picture will show the difference from front to rear.. going to ring the garage tomorrow - and try to get my head under to look at the level sensor and arm..q7.thumb.jpg.2dce26fcf4692063cee6d4a0f9fa4131.jpg

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rankers said:

got the car back today - picture will show the difference from front to rear.. going to ring the garage tomorrow - and try to get my head under to look at the level sensor and arm..q7.thumb.jpg.2dce26fcf4692063cee6d4a0f9fa4131.jpg

Wow, wow, wow! That looks amazing!! 

Top work! Would love to see that on our club displays when the shows are back on. 

5 minutes ago, Bigdave1230 said:

Level sensor. You should be able to turn the steering wheel to see them without having to get under the car.

E16B58B0-072E-4837-AD7F-0B265BABBD27.jpeg

Great advice that 👍

So checked the linkages and they seemed ok; wd40’d the joints,.. replugeed ine connector that’s shroud seemed missing... 

no difference - did I read there is a 40a fuse to the front? Is that a passenger seat out job? 

• 2 months later...

quick update - 2 months the garage had this car just got it back,.. corona was blamed for time... lots of angst there...   Anyways

replaced leaky bag and worn out air compressor.allegedly dead, blamed on keeping bag pumped...

no longer have any unavailable modes on suspension.  But I will get occasional green lit air suspension sign now and again. doesnt seem to be dropping like it did into the arches and not watched enough if its the dynamic mode causing the dash light. it does on on and off. only had it back a day will have a proper look tomorrow if rain stays off. worried this may still have a leaky bag somewhere, or compressor issue... dont know really whats normal on this car.. would love another owners perspective on it.

Had the comment fed to me - it needs a software update?

they ignored the P2112 /P2011/P2008. issues and to be honest probably look at them myself as ive lost the will after they kept the car for 2 months +.. 

that said ringing garage monday to see if we can agree me to resolve them to pay! 

I wouldn't be letting this go as it sounds like the garage haven't resolved the issues at all. If you're not getting anywhere you could always contact the Motoring ombudsman. 

Cheers

Steve

• 1 month later...

so go the motor back last week, this has taken ages.  They bounced it around a few garages until an Audi mechanic finally looked at it. 

I believe the list goes:

Air bags, 2 refurbished pumps and finally a new pump and level sensors. - this I think must of outweighed cost of car should it be true.

I no longer see any green or yellow lower signs and have full access to all the height settings.

Quick question - after parking up - should you hear a low release of compressed air as car settles? - is my pain over or should I go back again? - they say its normal.

also battery has been discharging rapidly - I swapped it last night - but believe you have to code it - another question.. do you really? seem sok and is no longer discharging rapidly - start/turnover is also much better.

Air releasing after you get out and lock up is normal it’s just the car levelling itself. I have a Bosch Agm start stop battery on mine which isn’t coded in because it doesn’t have that model in its coding and it’s fine. Coding is only so the car knows at what point to turn everything off in the car if your sat in it with the ignition on and not running so it still has enough power to start the car.

• Like 1

cheers BigDave,..

Ive left the battery coding and everything is good.

RE: rest of the car - cleared all the codes,.. and no lights on the dash and suspension seems to be working correctly now - but the OBD has still flags 01583 (leak in system) and 01772 signal from level pressure sensor issue I beleieve...going to throw it into a proper garage myself versus the protracted half hearted efforts of the car sales place and cheap warranty work,