Audi built a plug-in hybrid in 1989

Steve Q

The Audi 'Duo' could do 24 miles on e-power alone

Thought PHEVs were a relatively new phenomenon? Think again, because Audi built its first one way back in 1989.

Yup, 1989, the same year British scientist Tim Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web. When cassettes were more popular than CDs, and mobile phones were the size and weight of a brick. And here was Audi, somehow making a petrol engine and e-motor speak the same language.

Revealed at the 1990 Geneva Motor Show, the Duo was based on an Audi 100 Avant. Its 2.3-litre, five-cylinder engine sent about 134bhp to the front axle, while a 12bhp e-motor from Siemens (drawing power from a 9kW nickel-cadmium battery mounted under the boot floor) drove the rear.

Most of the time the two power sources worked in tandem, but the Duo did have a special electric-only mode that prevented the internal combustion engine from kicking-in. Modern-day PHEVs have such modes of course, accessible via a little button you can press anytime, anywhere. In the Duo, you had to come to a complete halt and shift into neutral.

Max range on e-power was 24 miles, at speeds of up to 31mph. It had regen-braking and solar panels on the roof for keeping the battery topped up. Ten were built for testing – one was even trialled as a taxi in Audi’s hometown of Ingolstadt – but none sold.

It was 1997 before Audi did a PHEV you could buy. Well, Kinda. The A4 Duo, which Audi claims was the first production plug-in hybrid, combined a 90bhp 1.9-litre diesel with a 29bhp e-motor. Like modern PHEVs it could run at slow speeds for a short while on e-power alone, and was chargeable on the move via regen or from a plug socket.

But it was TWICE the price of a normal A4 Avant. Audi apparently expected to sell around 500 cars a year, but by the time production had halted in 1999 it had only built 60.

Before its time? You bet.

Article courtesy of Top Gear: 

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/audi-built-plug-hybrid-1989 

_v2a7491.jpg

_v2a7432.jpg

_k4a1243.jpg

_v2a7609_1.jpg

_v2a7605.jpg

_v2a7557.jpg

_v2a7470.jpg

yip love one defo old mans car  lol     and av not been to bed yet    !Removed! back  going mad 

3 hours ago, audia4b5kev said:

yip love one defo old mans car  lol     and av not been to bed yet    !Removed! back  going mad 

Lol. Oh no not good, I know how you feel as I've been in a similar situation with my back the last couple of days. 

BEEN LIKE THIS SINCE WAS  12 YEAR OLD   GOT WORSE GOING TO GYM   WHEN I WAS NIGHTCLUB  DOORMAN    PUT A4 AVANT TOOGETHER  AND AS   FEEEKED LOL   OLD AGE 

16 hours ago, audia4b5kev said:

BEEN LIKE THIS SINCE WAS  12 YEAR OLD   GOT WORSE GOING TO GYM   WHEN I WAS NIGHTCLUB  DOORMAN    PUT A4 AVANT TOOGETHER  AND AS   FEEEKED LOL   OLD AGE 

Mine is Knackered due to a couple of major car accidents besides a curved spine. 

5 hours ago, audia4b5kev said:

Stop it now. I won't to buy them both lol 😂

• 4 weeks later...

changed injector on her and running sweet as a nut   with nearly 300k  on her   but  brushes were feeeked on altnaton   took off what a bastttard job found sume brushes off another altnator  fitted them  lol  now she 17,5v  lol

1 hour ago, audia4b5kev said:

changed injector on her and running sweet as a nut   with nearly 300k  on her   but  brushes were feeeked on altnaton   took off what a bastttard job found sume brushes off another altnator  fitted them  lol  now she 17,5v  lol

Glad you got it sorted 👍