Temperature gauge not working

Mungo2007

Hi all 

i have a 2008 A3 but for some reason the temperature gauge has stopped working any ideas on where to look for the issue the rest of the dash is working ok just the temp gauge not working. 

Is there a separate fuse just for this gauge, fuses are always my first port of call. 

Otherwise are there any other things i can test to see where the fault is. 

Not sure if it is related in anyway but i changed the oil filter and then the temp gauge stopped working i think! I am sure it was working before the filter change might not be related at all but thought i would mention it. 

Thanks 

Yes that is quite possible i did have to push some stuff out of the way to get the filter out - now you have said that when i was putting the filter back in there was what it thought was a  static type crack from somewhere close to the filter i did not think any more but now you have said that i wonder, is this connected to a fuse somewhere for this part. 

Any to ask maybe a silly question what does the temp send plug look like i assume it is near to the oil filter?

Sorry I don't know the location of the sender off hand, as it would depend on the engine, which you haven't mentioned. Often the sender will be fitted into one of the coolant hoses attached to the radiator. In any case there may be a damaged wire or other connection into the loom further out from the sender. You will need to find the sender, ensure the plug is fully seated into its socket, and trace the wires as far back as you can manage.

I very much doubt any instrument has a fuse except perhaps on the circuit board in the instrument panel.

There won't be a separate fuse for the temp sensor. As cliff as mentioned it could be the sensor that's been knocked or failed. But it could also be the temp gauge itself in the instrument cluster. This is a rarer issue and would look at the sensor first. 

• 2 years later...

Hello? (Could you please fill in your profile with the appropriate data).

If the fuse is blowing then there is a short circuit in the circuit to the gauge, or something else on the same circuit. 
You may be able to locate and sort it yourself if you are competent with car electrics ( complex these days). If not, you will need the services of an auto electrician. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

5 hours ago, diana.mcclendon said:

what could it be

Who can say as you have told us nothing about the car, the engine, the year etc. Sorry but my crystal ball shattered a long time ago and my magic wand is bent.