Watch winders.

In the eighteen months since I bought a very expensive gold watch, I have had to cope with three attempts to steal it ( they were all overseas).

I’ve now decided to wear a less expensive watch some of the time.   It is a Tissot automatic and I have bought a watch winder to keep it up to power between wearings.  However, despite being fitted to the winding machine the Tissot hasn’t started.  The handbook of the winder states that if the watch has a “ low power reserve “ it may not benefit from being placed in the winder.  The Tissot wasn’t used for a couple of years prior, so had no power reserve.   Any know how to restore a dead power reserve ?

On 5/15/2020 at 3:32 PM, Trevor said:

out of curiosity, does the winder rotate both ways?

According to the brochure it should rotate in one direction for two minutes and then stop for six minutes. It will then recommence in the other direction for the same time periods. At great expense I have bribed my teenage daughter to sit still and observe it.   She says that it seems to comply with the time periods, but that she’s only ever see it go in one direction.  She was, though, on her iPad for most of the time, so she may not be the most reliable observer.  I guess I’ll have to watch it myself.    Would it make any difference ?

P.S.   The watch second hand is turning, though, so that’s a start.

lol....not the most reliable clock-watcher then 🙂

It should rotate in both directions alternately as it will overwind the watch, apparently.
This is usually why you shake your hand side to side to get it going after a period of laying up.

My watches tend not to keep perfect time until they have had a couple of days of being worn then they build up a power reserve.

Teenagers and reliability ?   Just not possible.

I myself have now seen the winder rotate in both directions. Curiously, though, I see it rotate much more anti clockwise than the other way, but at least it does swing both ways, if you’ll pardon the pun.

cheers

• Like 1