Flat Battery and Engine Light

nhenson22

Hi all,

Went out for a short trip yesterday in 2016 A6 (2.0 TDI). When I tried to restart, nothing, sounded like a very dead battery. On second attempt, all sorts of warnings started appearing and engine management light came on. I was then able to get a jump and get the car started and went for a drive for an hour with AC off, radio off etc. Car was fine and no longer any warnings, however the engine light has remained on. Is there any way I can clear this as this was obviously triggered by the flat battery? Or do I need to go to dealer?

Thanks

Hello Nick,

I think that’s it’s more important to get the battery efficiency checked rather than be too concerned about the EML at this stage. 

Chances are that this battery will let you down again.

Of course, we are assuming the charging system is up to par, but first port of call would be the battery check. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 5 weeks later...

I agree, get the battery checked.

Had a battery replaced on my late-2016 A6 as the original one gave out after 3 1/2 years but was told the original battery was problematic from the start and was known for giving off incorrect fault codes and computer system faults.  

Under 3-yrs old the battery is under Warranty, after that, it is  classed as a wear and tear item and I had to pay £250 for a replacement by Audi Roadside Assistance as having Audi Extended Warranty does not cover battery replacement.

• Like 1