Weird things going on in the countryside.

My gardener, a wise old bird, has told me about a weird thing that had happened nearly every night for the last couple of weeks in his garden He has two divergent paths that run parallel in his garden about four feet apart.  One is made of paving slabs, the other of tamped gravel.  In between is a strip of lawn.  For some years there has been a well established bees nest sunk into the lawn right on the edge of the paving slabs.  Every night, bar when it rains, something has built up over the entrance to the nest a circular layer of gravel about a foot across. It rises to a cone over the opening. He also says that the same white pebble is put on the top centre of the cone every night.  Photographs support this.  I’ve told him it is squirrels, but he has replied that he shoots these when he sees them in the elms bordering his garden, and anyway squirrels aren’t active at night.

Anyone got any ideas ?

• 4 weeks later...

Wow that's super strange! Have you got any pictures I could see? My partner is an outdoors man, works in the industry and would probably have a good idea as to what's causing it 🙂 

• 1 month later...
On 6/15/2020 at 5:51 PM, Lottie Lynn said:

Wow that's super strange! Have you got any pictures I could see? My partner is an outdoors man, works in the industry and would probably have a good idea as to what's causing it 🙂 

I’m afraid I haven’t got any pictures.   But I am still investigating it.  Cheers.