OIL full message

Gary East

Hi all, this is my first post, ive an A6 3.0 avant 2019, im getting reduce oil level message every time now i start the engine, but when i pop the bonnet and remove and replace the cap the message goes away..... until next time a start up, wonder when the service side of Audi will be operational again. thanks

I'd be getting this looked at by a garage that's open. As long as they use genuine Audi parts/oil and they're vat registered it won't void your warranty.

Believe it or not too much oil can damage the engine. 

Cheers

Steve

I’m waiting for local Audi to open but. What puzzles me is I’ve never touched the oil in the 11 month I’ve had it and it cannot just fill itself up 😀 should I drive it you think if I open the bonnet tKe the oil cap off then replace it the warning goes away till next time 

6 hours ago, Gary East said:

Morning Steve, its never had one yet only done 8,000 miles

Very weird then. I'd be getting bit in to be looked at asap. I appreciate Audi isn't open yet though 

UPDATE! faulty fuel sensor i got audi roadside out 🙂 changed it all is good theres a software update too that helps initial acceleration it was always sluggish pulling away. thanks 

43 minutes ago, Gary East said:

UPDATE! faulty fuel sensor i got audi roadside out 🙂 changed it all is good theres a software update too that helps initial acceleration it was always sluggish pulling away. thanks 

Hadn't even thought of Audi road side assistance. Glad you got it sorted 😊

Hello Gary,

It’s great that you have kindly informed the forum of the successful outcome to the issue (few do!).

Your reply will hopefully be of help to others who experience similar symptoms in the future. 

Apologies for being pedantic:- 

You say (and confirm?) it was due to a faulty FUEL sender. Logic would point to this being wrong. 

Faulty OIL level sensor would make sense - but not a faulty fuel sensor. 

Wondered if you could clear up this important anomaly for us. 

Many thanks and kind regards, 

Gareth. 

• Like 1

haha no problem Gareth, it says on report replaced G247 fuel pressure sensor, he wasnt sure if it was actually that but all is good now, he did say in some cases loads of minor journeys can cause the oil not to regenerate as efficiently and cause levels to rise in time which would explain a lot as ive not had this out of the town in 3 months.

14141414.jpg

Hello Gary,

Um!

Puts a different slant on it altogether, now that we have more detail. 

So we now know that Audi Assist actually removed oil from the engine, indicating that the warning of an overfill was correct and real, and not a faulty oil level sensor. 

We know you have never put oil in the car, yet it was overfilled, so your statement ‘.....and it cannot just fill itself up...’ can no longer be fact. 

How does the oil level increase?

I am not claiming knowledge of VAG diesel engines having  such problems, but I am aware of one prestigious marque engine which suffers from oil ‘dilution’ due to unburnt diesel getting into the lubrication system and obviously diluting the and increasing the oil level. Not good news in their case, and as I understand it, the oil gets checked for such diesel contamination. 

Now having more fact, leads me to question if this engine is suffering from a similar issue, since it appears you have proof positive that the oil level has indeed increased, despite you not adding any. 

If this were mine, I would be searching for more information/incidence of problems with current VAG diesels, so that you are better equipped to follow this up with Audi. 

Perhaps you could keep us posted Gary.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

I would most certainly being doing my search homework first.

You need to be able to stand your corner, and get a plausible explanation for why the oil level increased - which it certainly did, and dictated the Audi Assist man to drain some off. Don’t be fobbed off with some Cummingsesque excuse! 

Suffering oil dilution/contamination with diesel can have serious consequences for engines.

Personally, I would not be happy with a simple oil and filter change - which is most likely they will do.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so got it back today, they said , and excuse me im no way mechanically minded, the DPF filter was producing too much soot on very short journeys and somehow effected the oil level, had a software update too and the delayed acceleration is fixed now.

Many thanks for updating the forum Gary. 

‘DPF producing too much soot...’ ( and so increasing the oil level!??) Um! 

Now here is the simply question to ask them:- 

Where did the increased oil volume actually come from? 

I’m sure a lot of folks would be interested in that theory, since if you can actually ‘make’ oil from nowhere, then we’d all be in the money. 

I think I would rather go with my possibility. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

The oil will absorb soot and increase in volume. This was very common on older diesels and is why diesel engined cars always have much darker oil than a petrol engine. However I am not sure how soot from the DPF could get into the oil. Maybe it can but I don't know.