VIN and registration number

hutchys

Hi,

I have recently ordered an A6 Allroad (lease direct from Audi dealer) and as above I have been given a VIN and registration number.

But I am being told the car is still at port of exit, so my question is can you be given a VIN and Reg number if the car is not yet in the country?

Hello Jim,

If indeed it is still at the port of exit (within the EU ? - which we aren’t) then I would be very surprised if the vehicle has been allocated a (UK?) registration number. 

To my knowledge, this is always allocated by the supplying dealer following the PDI.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

p.s. Just noticed your Location as ‘somewhere’ (not at all helpful), so please ignore any reference to U.K. procedures if not applicable. 

Thank you Gareth,

Yes, it's the UK and the dealers is saying delivery to the UK Mid to late June so I was very surprised that I have a VIN and reg number on my finance documents when it is not even in the UK.

I did ask for an order number so I could track the delivery myself but received this back:

Due to the current Lockdown/Covid situation you are unable to track your vehicles. Even as a dealer we are just estimating arrival dates and status as the system information is incorrect. Shipping and transporting has all been effected. As soon as we know we will update you with the correct information 

I will update my location accordingly.

Gareth is correct, the vehicle is allocated it's registration at the dealer. The first 2 letters of the registration indicate the county of registration. I found not of they would issue you a registration when the car isnt even in the country. 

Cheers

Steve

Hello Jim,

There may be good reason why you are concerned why this car appears to have already been allocated a registration number, but we don’t know why you are concerned about this. 

Perhaps repeating:- if you have a registration number then my guess is it’s already in the UK, but Audi’s system may not have uploaded its updated location. 

As a matter of interest, does the allocated registration number tie up with the area registration applicable to the dealer you are acquiring the car from? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth,

It's not a concern as such, more of being told by the dealer it is still at port of exit (so I am not looking at Audi's system but being told by the dealer) and they really don't know when it will be in the UK, best guess mid to late June.

Which is fine but then I am issued with a VIN and Reg and have you have already said it is highly unlikely a reg as been issued if the car is still out of the country.

So, as I see it the car is in the country so can be issued a reg number, why the dealer is saying different I don't know or it is indeed still at port of exit and I am the first person, well that I know of, that has been issued a car registration before the car hits the UK?

Yes, the reg first two letters does tie in for the county the dealer is based.

Finally, I have returned my previous lease as it was completed so delivery ASAP would be preferential but if it was mid June so be it. Now I am thinking is it really in the UK and can be delivered sooner than I thought, but I still cannot see why the dealer would say it is at port of exit if they had the vehicle already. It doesn't make sense to me, hence my questions.

Thanks

Jim

Hello Jim,

I certainly agree that it doesn’t make sense, but it could just be that your car will (in caps) be allocated this registration number when (in caps) it arrives. i.e. They have reserved this registration number for use on your vehicle - when it arrives. 

When it arrives? I guess you will be notified by the dealer as soon as it is available to you. That I would not worry about, since they will be glad of your money as soon as they can get it off you. 

Meanwhile, stay safe - much more important than vehicles. 

Enjoy it when it arrives.

Kind regards,

Gareth.