broken front spring

greatgokart

Hi found my front spring had broken today, going to change it myself does anyone know what nut i need for the top of the shock when reassembling. also do i need to replace the pinch bolt

thanks for any pointers 

Welcome to the forum Barry, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch 🙂 

Here is an online free workshop manual bwhich will help. The link is on the direct page for the spring replacement 👍 

https://workshop-manuals.com/audi/a1/running_gear_front-wheel_drive/rear_suspension_drive_shaft/shock_absorbers_coil_springs/removing_and_installing_coil_spring/

Cheers

Steve

Hello Barry,

Not wishing to put you off, but do you have the correct and above all - substantial spring compressors to hand (if it’s the type I think it is)?

This can be a very dangerous procedure without the correct equipment and knowledge. A & E is not the place to be in our current situation!  

Also, I would not advocate just changing one spring. Always change as an ‘axle’ pair.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi all just a little follow up, Gareth thanks for the concern i've owned a number of land rover discoverys over the years so was happy to take this on and thought id give an update incase anyone else is thinking of giving it a go.

started my research and found the video below although its for a Polo the principle is the same except for a few differences ive listed these below.

to start with had a bit of difficulty getting the axle stand in due to the supplied jack not giving enough height and my trolly jack was to high so used a piece of wood to lift the jack

IMG_1099.jpg.a91bf76d60d65e6b24e941567a3cd0ef.jpg

IMG_1100.jpg.09657c5e85b826d31bdef9cb7c5c49cd.jpg

you can get access to the top nut just by lifting the plastic sheet no need to remove the windscreen wipers at least for the left side

IMG_1098.jpg.ef0085684b780f1720e034813087f403.jpg

spring had broken so no compression on it

tIMG_1097.jpg.4fe557cfc76d86a40f7fa123b0cef6ff.jpg

the hardest part was getting the pinch bolt out the largest spline bit i had was a 12 which was to small so knocked in a 60 torx bit just to get it removed to answer my own question above yes you do have to replace the pinch bolt

IMG_1107.jpg.d4c91fa7e6787a170a530611e2e4f598.jpg

i used a small chisel in the gap at the back of the knuckle and then plenty of hammering on the top of the knuckle it dropped down and was fee the only other nut i had to remove was the one on the drop link (little bottle jack under the brake disc made it easy to remove the link, impact driver to the top nut and it came away easy

IMG_1103.jpg.91264057b05740d84456a1737d5d4d2f.jpgIMG_1096.jpg.a673f6073b1c9b6a9c322ebbe0409822.jpg

couple of things I learnt you need a deep socket to get the second nut off, chances are the rod will spin and screw up the rubber boot, i just pushed the boot down to expose the rod held it by hand (NO TOOLS) and it loosened 

IMG_1104.jpg.16694757b126db4e62e1144363d8714c.jpg

i had ordered a new bolt set of ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-VW-Audi-Front-Strut-Pinch-Bolt-Nut-Kit-Top-Mount-Suspension-M8x32/174062917004?hash=item2886f5558c:g:TMUAAOSwqOldobxa bit of careful wire brushing followed by stone chip paint and a final spray of smooth hammerite to the bits that could be seen and im now just waiting for my spring to be delivered

IMG_1106.jpg.fa4fc693b1f26b089d36b5d1568a3e70.jpg

will give a follow up when i have reasembled it hope this helps someone thinking of giving it a go 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 7:10 AM, Steve Q said:

Welcome to the forum Barry, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch 🙂 

Here is an online free workshop manual bwhich will help. The link is on the direct page for the spring replacement 👍 

https://workshop-manuals.com/audi/a1/running_gear_front-wheel_drive/rear_suspension_drive_shaft/shock_absorbers_coil_springs/removing_and_installing_coil_spring/

Cheers

Steve

thanks Steve

On 5/28/2020 at 8:43 AM, Magnet said:

Hello Barry,

Not wishing to put you off, but do you have the correct and above all - substantial spring compressors to hand (if it’s the type I think it is)?

This can be a very dangerous procedure without the correct equipment and knowledge. A & E is not the place to be in our current situation!  

Also, I would not advocate just changing one spring. Always change as an ‘axle’ pair.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks Gareth, lot of research later, shocks and Brakes in pairs you can just do one spring

Hello Barry,

Many thanks for the very useful post. 

Looks like a great job done safely and with the right equipment. 

Re. not changing springs in pairs:- I would still go with my view that it’s better to change springs in pairs to guarantee equal ride heights and comparable spring tensions. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.