Turbo Overboost Problem P0234

Mustafa

Hello,
Last week, I bought an Audi 2004 A3 2.0 TDI, 194,400 Miles.
While buying car there was not an issue, I checked everything and drove it 10 minutes. Everything was look well. Bought it  and then decided to a long trip to test car. After 30 Miles, the engine menagement light turned on. I did not thought it is important issue, because the car was running well and there was not any weird voice from engine. I booked a diagnostic test then yestarday I had it. The mechanic told me the car has 4 error codes;

P3101 Intake manifold flap motor / open circuit/ground short
P0691 Radiator fan actuation 1 short to ground
P3102 Intake manifold flap motor  /signal missing
P0234 Boost Pressure control /above control limit
He suggested  turbo replacement which cost  £859.65. This amount more than car actually price. He told me I can drive it and if it goes limp mode switch off engine and restart.
Also mechanic told me that "probably, the private seller know this issues but he cleared it before selling it" Is this possible to clear error codes?

I've searched on google to fix that problem in cheap way, found a video on youtube, cleaning it with Mr Muscle oven cleaner?
Has anybody tried that method before? Is it works? Is it easy to do it in this model? or Do you have any further suggestions?

Thank you.

As it's a private seller there's no come back unfortunately. And yes they could have just cleared the codes. But you'd have to prove it abd take them thorough small claims court. 

I'd be taking your mechanics advise on this, as no amount of cleaning will fix a failing turbo. 

Cheers

Steve

It looks like you have been conned by an unscrupulous seller. If there is no chance of getting your money back it seems to me you only have two choices: scrap the car or repair it yourself. I have seen reports in this forum in the past of people who have used oven cleaner to clean the turbo. It sounds dubious to me but you have little to lose, so search back in the forum and have a go.

Hello Mustafa, 

Even if you bought it off a private seller, then it must be as described in the advert. If it isn’t, then you have redress. 

You will find sellers simply describe vehicles as ‘Runs, drives, stops’ to avoid any comebacks, but you will know how the car you bought  was described. 

Incidentally, how long had the seller owned it? 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Thank you for responds,

Taking them to small claim courts could be good idea to teaching them that "this is fraud", but it need time and expenses, I am not able to do it at the moment.

Actually, I don't believe too that Mr. Muscle trick will work on this car, but I just want to try all cheap ways to repairing. It just a small hope.

I have tried to contact with seller, but failed. He does not reply me.

He bought it last September, probably he has driven it for 8 months. The car has mot until 10 June 2021, it passed mot 3 days before I bought it. This information also tricked me. I thought if it can pass Mot it is good car. I know this is such amateur belief, but I've trusted to seller.

Cheers
Mustafa

Sadly an MOT certificate only refers to the car's roadworthiness, and even then I suspect it is not too difficult to forge.

To bring a case in the Small Claims Court costs only a small amount, (£50 I think,) but the court can not enforce its judgements. That would need you to then apply to a higher court.

Today, I had a call to him, fortunately he answered to call. I explained to situation, he stated that he don't know the this problem before, while he was selling it there was not any light on dash, its occured due to high speed etc. In shortly he blaimed me. I told him I will go to court for this, and he told me he will review the case then will give a call in a couple days.

Also, I understood that before calling he saw my messages but did not prefer to reply. Because in the call he mentioned about text messages context. Now, I am 90% percent sure he cleared to error codes before selling. He probably will look information about my rights then will decide.

It's clearly fraud, £800 is not big deal, but he should be punished, tricking people is not good behaviour, especially during this bad days.

This kind of tricks may cost even people lifes, if there is serious problem on car.

Thank you for your interests.

Hello Mustafa,

Why don’t you post a copy of the advert (blanking out the seller’s contact details) so that contributors on here can see how the car was described, and perhaps then offer you advice on how strong a case you would have? 

Cliff makes a good point about about actually getting any reimbursement even if you win the case. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hello,
There is not any descripton about car mechanical condition, but while he is posting it he defined in good condition category. 
The car which has oveer boost problem I think is not in good condition. 
Also there is not engine manegement light on dash on photos.

Screenshot_1.thumb.jpg.a96c02f891f68d80bf745f23b15c728b.jpg

That advertisement looks suspicious: no engine light on the dash, selling for a friend, brand new MOT, no mention of mechanical condition. However hindsight is wonderful and I'm not sure I would not have been taken in by it.

I doubt there is an easy legal way of getting your money back.

Did you buy it directly off the registered owner who’s name was on V5 ?

Did you buy it at the address shown as the registered address on the V5? 

Did you buy it at a price less than £895? 

I guess you did appreciate it was an insurance damaged vehicle before you bought it. 

OK, it’s in a category of good condition, but note that the seller only refers to any judgement of condition in terms of the inside. 

No EM light showing? I can’t see you would expect it to be showing, since I take it it as the when you road tested it. 

Only you can judge whether it’s worth taking this to the Small Claims court. I would think that if you do, you will need a written report from whoever diagnosed the problem for you (cost for that report?) and it is likely whoever writes the report will need to attend the court to answer any questions (costs?). Is it really worth it? As Cliff says, winning the case is no guarantee of getting your money back. 

If it were mine Mustafa, I would either be getting it repaired on the basis that even if it costs you as much as you paid for it, it’s still not a great amount of funds for buying a (then decent?) car. The alternative is to part with it an accept the loss, but obviously it’s your call.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

I've bought it from registered owner of the car.
I bough it in same city which is the registered adress, but in different location.
Paid £800 for it.
Yes, I appreciated it is category N.
EM light is not also on the dash during test driving.

I agree with you, it seems taking it to court will  not worth it. But, this kind of people should be punished, this is beyond to my loss.
The car inside and outside condition are really good. It worth to repair it. Actually before buying, I have considered its age and thought about spending some money on it, but at the beginning  £869 for turbo is really high cost, because the car probably will need cambelt replacement soon. I have check it by eyes and touching it seems old, I have also accepted to that it will need cambelt replacment soon. However, The turbo failing was surprise for me. I still don't understand how he cleared it, and motor has run really nice on the test drive.

Cheers
Mustafa

Mustapha. Before deciding on turbo repair be aware that a cambelt will add about £700 to the bill, and with 194000 miles on the clock there may be other surprises in store. I suggest you get the car assessed professionally before committing to any repairs.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cliffcoggin said:

Mustapha. Before deciding on turbo repair be aware that a cambelt will add about £700 to the bill, and with 194000 miles on the clock there may be other surprises in store. I suggest you get the car assessed professionally before committing to any repairs.

Thank you for well-meaning suggestions. Probably there is other minor surprises, but did not expceted £700 for a cambelt, based on online search I thought it cost between £250-300, also car need oil change, oil filter change, fuel filter change. I've been changed air filter. Actually fuel filter also seems to easy to change by myself. Before decide to repair turbo, I am still keen on to try Mr.Muscle trick as you mentioned your previous posts, there is not anything to loss. Just waitting a call from seller for now.

Hello Mustafa,

If you didn’t buy it at the registered address, how do you know you bought it off the registered owner? Unless of course you know that person. 

Personally, I wouldn’t take it to the small claims court if I were in your situation. I would just swallow my pride and move on. 

‘Such people should be punished..’. Well perhaps, but they survive via. dealing with buyers who may not have had their eyes wide open when buying. An unfortunate experience for you. 

I would be thinking carefully about what you expect from this car before spending, particularly bearing in mind it’s value/appeal will always be reduced my its Category N history.