Starting issues

Bluecattreats

Audi A6 Quatro Estate 2.5TDI 2002

The only way to start my car is to turn ignition on and wait for ignition Hot Plugs light to go off, this you have to do 3 times; after the 3 rd time, the car will start.This has been the case since the last full service, of which the fuel filter was changed in the tank. Regards Mick

• 2 weeks later...

I have never had a full set of glow plugs. What is the usual period or how is something like that calculated. In the summer it now starts up on around 3 / 4 turns. Always an initially high amount of smoke.(soon goes) The car had always started up quickly before one particular full service, where the tank filter was changed, and i believed that there was some sort of back flow valve that might have been fitted wrongly?? This was several years ago; I have lived with this problem for a long time. I increased the battery size to compensate. If i remember rightly, I did have the glow plugs checked at the time. I know one has been changed in the cars lifetime. Millage now around 187,000

regards, Mick, bluecattreats

Hello Mick,

As I understand it, glow plugs only come into play at low temperatures - circa. below 5 degrees, so should not account for problems in starting in reasonable temperatures. 

If the problem only started after a fuel filter change, then I would be tempted to renew that, but only with a good quality Bosch or Mann one if not using genuine VAG parts. 

Kind regards, 

Gareth.