Sounds like a flat tire when idling

Jamieking86

Hi all, i've just picked my Audi A3 up this morning, it's an 09 plater with 130k on it but it drives like a dream and looks a stunning car, definately been looked after.

I've had a bit of a drive in it all day like you do, and a few minutes from home i started to hear what sounded like a flat tyre, i pulled up outside my house and reverse parked it, and there's like a squeaky/rubbing noise when i turn the steering wheel side to side, and weirdly it sounds like a flat tyre even when idling sat outside my house. Anyboyd any ideas what this could be? I've drove it 45 miles home on the motorway and it's been spot on, i did a few little stops, came home and that's when i heard the noise.

The car has 18 month warranty on it, should i contact the dealer about this? TIA

Hello Jamie,

I am discounting your description of the noise being associated with the car being ‘on the move’, but concentrating on the fact that it is now apparent when the car is stationary and idling. Very concerning, and to my mind needs urgent diagnosis to avoid the possibility of anything going catastrophically wrong. 

To your last point:- ‘.....should I contact the dealer...?’ Definitely and without delay.

Using the car? Personally I wouldn’t even start it, but would be suggesting to the dealer that you get the breakdown service (if you are a member) or a local garage who would come and look at the car, rather than driving to anywhere, if you are going to respect the possible significance of this noise. This is why I would not be going anywhere in it. 

Possible causes? I’m sure that you will appreciate that it’s a very difficult task to ask anybody to identify an unheard noise without access to the car. Possibilities:-  near-total-failure cam belt whipping against cover, dual mass flywheel, or something totally different. 

Perhaps you could let us know how you get on Jamie. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth, many thanks for your reply.

I went outside last night again to just to have another listen of it. I was probably exaggerating slightly when i said it sounds like a flat tyre when idling. I was in panic mode after been pretty upset, looking forward to getting this car then straight away i hit a problem. The sound mainly occurs when i'm turning the steering wheel to the left and right, and also at low speeds, higher speeds you can't really hear it.

I took the car to my friends last night who is a mechanic and he says it sounds like the strut mount rubber is rubbing against the metal frame of the car. The sound does sound like it's coming from that area at the top of the struts both sides of the car and may just need some lubrication on it, but i'm not entirely convinced. I have done research and found other people have this issue, so it could be the issue, but it's strange that it was fine to drive to start with, i didn't hear a sound, then all of a sudden both sides make the same noise?

I'm going to take it to a couple of garages today to get another opinion, i will be in touch with what they say.

Hello Jamie,

I can understand your concerns. Unfortunately, your description of the symptoms has been confused by this, and led me to believe the noise was there when the car was stationary and the engine running - which you have now confirmed, it isn’t. Apologies. 

Advice regarding informing the dealer remains, since it is possible that they may not be in agreement with anyone else working on the car. I would be giving then an opportunity to advise - via. a confirming e-mail response. 

Your current description of the noise only being steering associated puts everything in a different light, and I too would be taking it to a local garage for diagnosis, and estimated costs, but as I say, getting the dealer’s agreement to pay for these repairs before moving on. I think you will find that the costs will have to be met by the dealer and not the warranty company, so I would be wary of meeting any costs yourself and attempting to claim the money back. Effectively, it is the dealer’s responsibility to sort this out for you. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth,

yes i have messaged the dealer this morning notifying him of the problem and that i'm going to get a few garages to have a look to get some different opinions and hopefully a rough cost. I did say i fully expect the cost to be covered under warranty as i've just paid £4390 for a car and had it less than 6 hours before this problem occured, but i will try get an estimated cost today and I'll be back in touch with him to see where we go from there.

Thank you

Hi sorry for the delay i actually forgot to update.

So i got in the car last sunday to take it to a garage to see what the noise was, and the squeaky noise had completely disappeared. I took it for a drive to see if it would return, but no, completely gone. I mentioned this to my mechanic friend and he said as it was raining it probably lubricated the strut mount rubbers which he thought was the problem rubbing on the metal frame? I got in the car wednesday after it had been raining again, and after a 20 min drive the squeaky noise came back but not as excessive, i get in the car again yesterday, and no squeaky noise. This is very strange, but possibly it is the strut mount rubbers rubbing on the frame? And the rian has lubricated them slightly?