Damaged Tire Sidewell

Mustafa

The replacement of the tyre would highly depend on when the MOT is due as it could fail based on the MOT station view point.

• Like 1

Hello Mustafa,

Personally, I don’t like this forum being asked to comment on potentially highly safety critical tyre damage, simply armed with a not very good photo of the damage. I don’t think anyone can offer meaningful advice in this case. 

To me, the obvious solution to getting the correct advice is to take the car to your trusted local tyre retailers and get expert - sign seen - advice on the tyre’s fitness for safe use. 

Anything else is simply unseen quesswork. 

Please, Mustafa, treat this with the respect it deserves - the answer does not rest within this forum. 

Kind regards, 

Gareth. 

Gareth,

Please for give my comment.😀 However I have to strongly disagree with your own comments. Given the picture provided above you can clearly see where and how the damage is displayed and therefore although I accept that the car does require to be taken to a trusted tyre expert; this does not mean that this forum cannot be utilised to give reasonable advice hence the reason why such a forum exists.

I have been in the car club seen and actually run a car club myself and have done for since 2002 and the car forum community have the technical ability to share views,opinions and advice not such topics. 😀

My opinion is that if the tyre is compromised in any way then it has the potential of failing at speed which is a grave concern.
If the car was being used locally and guaranteed to be kerbed in daily use then I may extend the usage of it as long as it was never taken at speed.

However, you would have to consider the legal aspect of the damaged tyre and if any accident occurred (through your own fault or not) the first thing the insurance assessor will check is the tyres and if unfit for road use then the insurance claim could be void.

• Like 1

Hello Olumide, 

No apologies necessary, and yes I agree, forums survive via. a means of recording varying opinions. 

I can understand your opinion that you believe you are suitably equipped to make a decision that the tyre is safe and serviceable from viewing the photo, yet I’m a bit confused as to why you then say that it needs to be inspected by a trusted tyre expert - although of course, I agree with that latter comment. 

I stick with my recommendation (and your suggestion) that it gets inspected, simply on the basis that it is unfair to ask any forum member to be a judge of safety issues in a sight - unseen situation. 

Many thanks and kind regards,

Gareth. 

p.s. My turn to apologise now:- I would prefer not to quote my bone fides, on the basis that it’s likely to infer that I should be sitting in arm chairs around a room with my contemporaries! 

• Like 1

Hello Magnet,

Thank you for your kind comments. 😀

I totally accept your opinion as you do mine. However I was merely attempting to point ot that if the tyre had not received the correct attention and was left in its current state and an MOT was looming then it might fail at the test station.

You have my full respect on your opinion given in this instance.

Thanks Olumide,

Of course, unfortunately, we don’t know when the MOT is due, so getting a tyre retailer to give it a good coat of looking at the earliest convenience would be the safest option here. 

I must say your comment ‘.....You have my full respect on your opinion given in this instance..’ brought a smile to the morning face. Great! 

Take care,

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Thanks 1

Hello people,

Thank you for all kind and helpfull comments.
The car has MOT until 10th June 2021, but you are definetely right, it need to be inspected by an expert for my safety. 

Steve, I decided to don't repair turbo problem, many mechanics told me that it's not totally failed, The car only may go limp mode on the highspeed, and there should be blowing voice, it is not dangerous for my safety, but of course it will damage to car engine day by day. For now, I just want to change it's oil and oil filter, then drive it 3 months, then sell it or scrap it. Another issue is cambelt, I don't know when it is replaced last time, there is 194800miles on milewatch, probably it needs a replacement but it is also costy, don't want to spend a lot of money on this car, already lost a lot, don't want to raise loss amount.

The private seller never turn back me again. Anyway, I was not hopeful about it.eful about it.

Cheers,
Mustafa

Hello Mustafa,

I think your logic on minimising expenditure to essential jobs makes sense, where the expenditure may exceed the car’s value. Yes you can worry about the cambelt, but provided you are resigned to effectively dropping the car’s value to its scrap value if it fails, then you can just carry on and use it. Of course, if it turns out you are otherwise very happy with the car, then you could consider getting it done at that point. 

Reduce worries to one thing at a time!  

Good luck with it Mustafa.

Kind regards,

Gareth.