I'm looking to repaint my le mans alloys - Satin grey to silver

JackW

Hi guys, 

New to the club! Picked up my 2011 TT 2.0 tsfi s-line black edition last week. Hopefully I've posted this in the right place, sorry if not!

I love the car, but am not sure about the satin grey finish on the 19in le mans alloys. They need repairing as the fronts have been curbed, but I'm wondering if painting them silver is worth it.

Was the satin grey a finish specific to the s-line/black edition? I don't think I want to paint over something that was essentially an optional extra from new!

I'd be aiming to match the alloys up with the fuel filler cap, or there abouts. I think it'll make the car look much more modern against the blue. (Does anyone know which factory blue that is?)

Sorry for the blurry, over saturated pic, it's from the seller's listing.

Anyone have any thoughts for me?

Screenshot_20200612-110340_Facebook.jpg

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum Jack, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch 🙂 That is a lovely colour 👍 definitely agree on matching it up with the fuel filler flap will really set the car off 👍

Thanks Steve!

I think I'll get the alloys booked in at a shop in the near future and post an update pic here 🙂 

On 6/14/2020 at 9:57 AM, JackW said:

Thanks Steve!

I think I'll get the alloys booked in at a shop in the near future and post an update pic here 🙂 

You're welcome 👍 look forward to seeing them once they're painted. 

Cheers

Steve

• 6 months later...

Hi Jack, like yours my TT is fitted with the Le Mans Alloys with the graphite grey finish, it looks nice, however, also like you, I want to get them powder coated (not just painted, as powder coating is tougher and longer lasting than painting), to match the fuel cap.

I think it will make the car much fresher looking, plus I just think that the grey looks dull, dirty and dingy unless they've been freshly washed.

I really like your car in the Scuba Blue, it was my second choice of colour when I was looking for my Misano red one. Sadly it was even rarer to find than the red in a Black Edition Diesel. 🙁

I recommend powder coating over painting every day of the week, it's just better all round, and after you put a ceramic coating on, they will also be easier to clean and keep clean.

All the best, Jimbo.

IMG_4691.JPG

• 1 year later...

painting them silver

I want to get them powder coated

Here's a question.  Sorry if it's obvious - I'm trying to understand this because I am thinking of doing the same thing.  Is it not possible to do it without repainting or powder coating?  Just strip off the titanium-look paint and then just leave them as alloy colour?  Presumably they need to be lacquered.

Can you go from this90817fd6e5ef400c950cab1ccbc445dc.jpg.09cdf0e9e953b4a9827b790a95f44710.jpg

to this

398982ca21e84a4f8ffdb7c65022519c.jpg.0e15792695bc98493586b12f505e8cde.jpg

... without repainting?

I think I prefer the unpainted alloys on a black car.  It gives it a lift (NB not the same car, neither is mine and I appreciate the second alloy is much more scuffed than the first)

Edited by SimonB27

On 6/12/2020 at 11:13 AM, JackW said:

Hi guys, 

New to the club! Picked up my 2011 TT 2.0 tsfi s-line black edition last week. Hopefully I've posted this in the right place, sorry if not!

I love the car, but am not sure about the satin grey finish on the 19in le mans alloys. They need repairing as the fronts have been curbed, but I'm wondering if painting them silver is worth it.

Was the satin grey a finish specific to the s-line/black edition? I don't think I want to paint over something that was essentially an optional extra from new!

I'd be aiming to match the alloys up with the fuel filler cap, or there abouts. I think it'll make the car look much more modern against the blue. (Does anyone know which factory blue that is?)

Sorry for the blurry, over saturated pic, it's from the seller's listing.

Anyone have any thoughts for me?

Screenshot_20200612-110340_Facebook.jpg

Hi Jack,

I can recommend a powder coater in Norwich to you -

BA Wheels

Unit 12, Marriott Close
Norwich
Norfolk
NR2 4UX

‭01603 610007‬

They will let you 'drive in and drive out'. They'll take your wheels off, remove the tyres, strip the wheels chemically, powder coat them in a finish of your choice, remount the tyres and balance them, then refit them to your car. Obviously this isn't a 'while you wait' service, 😆 but they are excellent at what they do. They did my Convertible's wheels for me six years ago, and they're still like new...

IMG_4437.jpg

I have no affiliation with them, other than being a satisfied customer. A friend of mine had his Alfa wheels done last year with similar results.

https://ba-wheels.co.uk/