Oil Dipstick Line Plugged Shut

Checkhook

Alright folks, hope I've got the right sub-forum?!

I was up looking at an 2009 Audi A3 1.4 TFSI earlier with a mate that works as a mechanic for Audi.

He gave me the all clear on the car: no codes appeared, new engine, clutch and timing chain etc. Aside from a small bit of bubbling from the Manifold that he thinks is just a result of it not being tightened enough when the engine was put back together, all looks good!

BUT.... we noticed that the oil dipstick was missing and had been plugged with a rubber sealant that we couldn’t remove. He said he’d never seen this before and we couldn’t figure out why this would be done 🤔

Does anyone have any experience with this or why it would have been done/what it’s trying to hide.

Cheers

That seems dodgy to me. I worked at vw a d never saw that. Has someone lost it and sealed it I wonder? Or has the engine overheated at some point causing the dipstick to bend etc? If be checking the service thoroughly in my opinion.

Cheers

Steve

Good man Steve, thanks for the reply.

Guy selling just rang me and said going going to speak to his mechanic that done the work on the car and see why it was plugged. I'll mention the possibility of the engine overheating and get a good look at the service history. Cheers! 

You're welcome, good idea speaking to his mechanic. It is a little worrying because if it was just lost then why wasn't it replaced? Definitely a good example of cutting corners if you see what I mean.

Cheers

Steve

1 hour ago, cliffcoggin said:

The suspicious side of wonders if plugging the dip stick hole is to hide excessive crankcase venting. The more benevolent side wonders if it was to stop water getting in while jet washing the engine.

Excessive crankcase venting in laymans terms = avoid? 

Also, could this excessive venting be related to the slight bubbling at the manifold? 

If I'd seen all this myself id normally just avoid but my mate says that he can can fix these things for cheap (even if it were a head gasket) and they're good bargaining tools as they're nothing major 🤪 All beyond my basic understanding of cars 🙃

Cheers

Every engine generates some pressure in the crankcase which is normally taken care of by the EGR, (exhaust gas recirculation,). However if the piston rings are worn there will be a lot of crankcase pressure that needs to go somewhere. I speculated, and it was only speculation, that the plug was to stop that pressure blowing up the dipstick tube.

When you mention the manifold I assume you mean the exhaust manifold not the inlet manifold. By bubbles do you mean soap bubbles for testing or something else?

If your mate is as knowledgeable as you suggest he can explain the detail. Ask him if the EGR has been blanked off.

• Like 1

Hello Jamie, 

I think everything, except your mate, is pointing you to walk away, so probably the sensible thing to do is to let your mate find something else to play with -rather than playing with your money. 

New engine? Why??

Wonder what that means. Different? as in second hand one from another vehicle? So called reconditioned? That engine now suspect? 

Not a good starting point Jamie. ‘............good bargaining point as they are nothing major’! I would certainly quality this with ‘... hopefully  nothing major, but not surprised if it is...’ 

Let’s hope this forum does not need to wish you good luck, but as they say, ‘ If you can’t have good luck, have bad luck, since bad luck is better than no luck at all’ ! 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, cliffcoggin said:

Every engine generates some pressure in the crankcase which is normally taken care of by the EGR, (exhaust gas recirculation,). However if the piston rings are worn there will be a lot of crankcase pressure that needs to go somewhere. I speculated, and it was only speculation, that the plug was to stop that pressure blowing up the dipstick tube.

When you mention the manifold I assume you mean the exhaust manifold not the inlet manifold. By bubbles do you mean soap bubbles for testing or something else?

If your mate is as knowledgeable as you suggest he can explain the detail. Ask him if the EGR has been blanked off.

Yeah, I believe it was the exhaust manifold and the bubbling was after the test drive when the car was sitting idle. 

Thanks for the input folks, I think I just needed to hear someone else opinion.

Think the wisest decision at this point is to leave this one, plenty more A3's kicking about.

Much appreciated!

Hopefully be back when I get my hands on a decent one!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Checkhook said:

Thanks for the input folks, I think I just needed to hear someone else opinion.

Think the wisest decision at this point is to leave this one, plenty more A3's kicking about.

Much appreciated!

Hopefully be back when I get my hands on a decent one!

You're welcome, keep us posted on how you get on. 

• Like 1