Hello. New member overhauling a 2008 Sportback Tdi.

DavidTdi

Hello to the forum, I've maintained our own cars for a lifetime and now also look after my twentysomething daughter's cars. By chance we've not owned an Audi since a really nice 1988 80 saloon many years ago.

A few days ago I bought my daughter a 2-owner 125k miles 2008 Tdi Sportback 8P privately at a price to allow me to go through it and do everything to make it tip top so it's as nice to drive and as reliable as possible for her.

This A3 has a dent/ding free body, immaculate interior, engine/clutch/gearbox all good, cold aircon, full history to 90k and partial since, never failed an MOT and no advisorys for the last two. 

But of course at the mileage, age and value quite a few service items outstanding and several faults of the A3 are/were present.

It immediately needed a full set of tyres as it had three different Chinese budget brands, one with a nasty near sidewall jagged metal embedded slow puncture and two on the front out of round making anything over 60mph unpleasant. 

It has the usual cracking wiring in the front door pillars plus both front doors don't unlock on the plip (going to start a thread on that next).

The front armrest lid has a broken catch and hinge.

The rear wiper motor was u/s (rusted badly internally) and I had to break the arm to get it off the car... new motor/arm fitted yesterday.

Needs a full all filters service and due timing belt/water pump. Done the oil and filter but rest of parts not here yet from Eurocarparts. As a matter of interest the pollen filter was choked and had the same date code as the cars build... so much for dealer servicing eh?

Front brakes recent but rear pads needed.

Battery was a bit sluggish turning over and despite car being in daily use with previous owner only read 12.3v plus it was under sized so fitted a new max capacity Varta.

Code read... front door locks came up obviously plus Can Gateway 00470.... Databus in single wire mode. Understand that might be cleared when the door pillar wiring is sorted?

Might seem a big list but happy to get it all done now so she takes the car away as good as possible.

Thanks Steve. Yep a bit of work but I'm early retired so looking after the 4 family cars is a bit of a hobby. I enjoy keeping older cars in great condition... my own Mondeo 12yrs old, wife's Mercedes 13yrs, this Audi 12yrs and other daughter 18yrs old Honda.