A3 2.0Tdi fuel filter swap & bleeding?

DavidTdi

Had a look back in the forum but couldn't find the answer. When changing the 2.0Tdi fuel filter element is there a procedure to bleed through or do you just crank in bursts until it fires? Haynes mentions leaving the filter body full of fuel then just starting up... and if you can't do that using VCDS to drive the fuel pump to pressure through and bleed??

Well sorted it. In case it helps anyone in the future...

I was a bit worried by the mention in Haynes of driving the pump to bleed with VCDS... and of various places online mentioning the car refusing to start after a filter change and possible pump damage if full of air. My car handbook said to leave the ign on for at least 30sec if you'd run out of fuel and refilled so I decided it was good enough to pre-fill the filter cannister after replacing the element so that as you pushed the top on a little fuel was displaced to be caught by an old cloth driving out 99.9% of the air. Then I did the 30 sec ign on a couple of times and it started immediately after that.

Diesel filter filled.jpg

• Like 1

One point worth mentioning. The first time I put the top back as I was easing it down something felt wrong... on taking it back off I saw the central top seal in the filter had been displaced inside such that unfiltered fuel could be drawn up. Next time I watched that the pickup stub had engaged with the seal properly before pushing the top fully home.

Diesel filter seal.jpg