A4 TDI Avant buying advice

Monkeyhanger75

Hi everyone,

I've owned 11 VAG from new, so very familiar with the drivetrain tech, but have mainly bought hot hatch Golfs, Sciroccos and Polos in that time (both petrol and diesel).

Looking to do a considerable upsize to an A4 Avant with the 190TDI "40" engine.  I've previously bought new because there's been better deals on new than nearly new cars of that size (most bought with private money rather than being fleet/company cars).

However, looking at pre-reg and nearly new prices, there are big discounts to be had because few people buy these cars new with their own money. Anyone recommend best prices and place to get them for 2019/2020 models?

RRP looks a bit tricky if going for Quattro. Seems you only need to have metallic paint optioned to be stung for the Luxury road tax rate if getting a Quattro. 

Not sure I need Quattro, only had 4WD on 1 car previously - my 2015 Golf R, with benefit mainly to reduce 0-62 times by eliminating tramping.

Anything to look out for/avoid e.g. is S-line suspension cripplingly brittle on the A4? I'm used to 18"/19" wheels on hot VWs with no adaptive suspension specced, but always had the impression that like-for like Audis have harder suspension e.g. S3 vs Golf R.

Thanks!

Matt