A6 (C7) to an A3

Wesley949

I am new to the A3 section but not on this website as I post a few things in the A6 C7 forums but that car is being handed back to the Finance Company ASAP and instead, I have downgraded to a late-2019 Audi A3.  On paper this A3 will be saving me a few hundred notes each month of which is the main reason for the change, plus I do more short journeys now and not ideal for the diesel A6.

A3 Sportback 35 TFSI Black Edition S-Tronic (PS).  69-Plate.  Quantum Grey and only had 3400 miles on the clock from new.  It has the high Tech' pack (Bang & Oulfsen system and Virtual Cockpit).

I have only had the car a few days and so far, its an excellent car and very solid with the sports suspension.  Only two downsides, in Comfort mode, the steering is still heavy and also, when reversing, the nearside wing mirror does not lower to see the kerb automatically when Reverse gear is selected.  Okay, I lose a few luxuries off the existing A6 (leather seats, electric seats and the 750-miles to empty range after filling up), but that is not going to spoil things for me.  

Many apologies if this is posted in the wrong section of the forums.

Untitled1.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Untitled3.jpg

Untitled4.JPG

Presumably, you've checked that the nearside mirror is selected on the rotary control on the door?

And I'm surprised you find the steering heavy, but maybe that's down to personal preference...

Nothing wrong with the wing mirror itself.  The rotary controls work fine.  On the A6, when reverse is selected, the nearside wing mirror tilts automatically as part of the memory function set-up.  Using the rotary switch manually is something I will have to adjust too.

Even noticed the heavy steering on the test drive but maybe its because of the 18-inch alloys or sports suspension.  I know a few reviews from popular car websites stated the steering issue as a negative factor but still gives the car a great review.

But, I am loving the A3 and I do think I have chosen the right car especially if it saves me money each month.

3 minutes ago, Wesley949 said:

Nothing wrong with the wing mirror itself.  The rotary controls work fine.  On the A6, when reverse is selected, the nearside wing mirror tilts automatically as part of the memory function set-up.  Using the rotary switch manually is something I will have to adjust too.

Even noticed the heavy steering on the test drive but maybe its because of the 18-inch alloys or sports suspension.  I know a few reviews from popular car websites stated the steering issue as a negative factor but still gives the car a great review.

But, I am loving the A3 and I do think I have chosen the right car especially if it saves me money each month.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. In order for either the nearside or offside mirror to dip automatically when you select reverse, the appropriate mirror has to be selected on the rotary control.

Select the nearside mirror, as if you were about to adjust it, then select reverse, and it should dip. If you want it to dip every time you select reverse, you must leave the rotary control pointing to it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, oake said:

Perhaps I wasn't clear. In order for either the nearside or offside mirror to dip automatically when you select reverse, the appropriate mirror has to be selected on the rotary control.

Select the nearside mirror, as if you were about to adjust it, then select reverse, and it should dip. If you want it to dip every time you select reverse, you must leave the rotary control pointing to it.

Hey fella, you were clear with your instructions, so thank-you.  The procedure is the same as on my A6, so I am doing everything correctly.

I just do not think this 'tilt' action is a function on my A3 as no matter which selection of the rotary switch, neither wing mirror will tilt down once the Reverse gear is selected.  On my Wing Mirror rotary switch panel, there are only 4 options (Left Mirror, Zero, Right Mirror and Heated Mirrors).  There is no function for electronically folding the mirrors like on some other A3's.

1 hour ago, Wesley949 said:

Hey fella, you were clear with your instructions, so thank-you.  The procedure is the same as on my A6, so I am doing everything correctly.

I just do not think this 'tilt' action is a function on my A3 as no matter which selection of the rotary switch, neither wing mirror will tilt down once the Reverse gear is selected.  On my Wing Mirror rotary switch panel, there are only 4 options (Left Mirror, Zero, Right Mirror and Heated Mirrors).  There is no function for electronically folding the mirrors like on some other A3's.

Sorry Wesley. Looks like I misunderstood.

The mirrors dipped on all the three A3s I've driven (two were courtesy cars), so I assumed it was the same for all recent A3s. It seems I was wrong in thinking it was a standard feature.

Apologies for the confusion.

Steve

17 minutes ago, oake said:

Sorry Wesley. Looks like I misunderstood.

The mirrors dipped on all the three A3s I've driven (two were courtesy cars), so I assumed it was the same for all recent A3s. It seems I was wrong in thinking it was a standard feature.

Apologies for the confusion.

Steve

Hey fella, no need for an apology, but thanks.

It should be a standard feature on all cars, but looking on my specs, I cannot seem to find the tilt feature stated.  

11 minutes ago, Wesley949 said:

Hey fella, no need for an apology, but thanks.

It should be a standard feature on all cars, but looking on my specs, I cannot seem to find the tilt feature stated.  

Just checked my owner's manual, and automatic dipping came with the folding mirrors feature, which was an extra cost option. Because I didn't actually order that feature in the first place, I'd forgotten that it was, in fact, an optional extra.

When I bought the car in March 2017 they quoted me a 6 month lead time, which wasn't particularly attractive to someone buying a convertible!

But they could get me a new one within a few weeks if I was prepared to compromise a bit, so I ended up with a white car with folding mirrors and heated seats.

2096808372_2020-06-1712_30_59-audia3-s3-owners-manual-searchable.pdf-FoxitReader.thumb.jpg.945befe1b4b1d3f71f146ce9b438f5d5.jpg

47 minutes ago, oake said:

Just checked my owner's manual, and automatic dipping came with the folding mirrors feature, which was an extra cost option. Because I didn't actually order that feature in the first place, I'd forgotten that it was, in fact, an optional extra.

When I bought the car in March 2017 they quoted me a 6 month lead time, which wasn't particularly attractive to someone buying a convertible!

But they could get me a new one within a few weeks if I was prepared to compromise a bit, so I ended up with a white car with folding mirrors and heated seats.

2096808372_2020-06-1712_30_59-audia3-s3-owners-manual-searchable.pdf-FoxitReader.thumb.jpg.945befe1b4b1d3f71f146ce9b438f5d5.jpg

Thanks for the screenshot..that is what I saw in my User Manual too.  I think with the *symbol, I guess it means optional.  I would have liked the folding mirrors and tilting feature but as long as the mirrors work normally, then I guess its all good.

6-months was a bit of a wait but I can see where the compromise aspect lies but if you are happy, then that is what matters.

My first Audi, a late-2014 A4 was built to my spec' but only had the Technology pack.  Wasn't sure I could have afforded it, but turns out, I wish I had purchased the Black Edition A4, still a regret of mine.  My late-2016 A6 was already built (standard) and unregistered and I am the only one on the log-book.  With the A3, it was already built and was purchased used but I am more than happy with the features and the way it looks and drives.

13 minutes ago, Wesley949 said:

6-months was a bit of a wait but I can see where the compromise aspect lies but if you are happy, then that is what matters.

The key bit in my case wasn't so much the 6 months wait, more the fact that the 6 months eliminated the entire summer.

Had it not been a convertible, I might have made a different decision, but we had plans for that summer that involved topless motoring!