EOBD II code P17BF: Fix or replace mechatronics unit AND clutch together?

tupacamaru

I have a 2011 Audi A3 Sportback 1.4L TFSI with S-tronic and have issues with the gearbox (EOBD II fault code P17BF; no VAG diagnostics done yet).

I've spoken with a few companies specializing in automatic transmissions, and just got off the phone with one that told me that nearly always the underlying cause of faulty mechatronics is a worn clutch. As such, he recommended I repair or replace both the mechatronics and clutch so I don't have to come back to him in a few weeks' time for another repair, nearly doubling the repair costs: I've been quoted €1,200 for the mechatronics unit (by 2 companies) and €2,000 for the mechatronics unit and clutch, including labor and towing from my home.

Considering the car's current market value (which I estimate to be €6,000 to 7,000), any repair will be relatively expensive, but obviously I'd like to minimize costs. What do you recommend: fixing the mechatronics unit, fixing the mechatronics unit and clutch, or something else (for instance, getting rid of the car)? While the quoted prices seem reasonable to me, I'd love your thoughts on those as well, please (I live in Ireland).

Thanks for your help!

When you get it scanned you will know more. I bought my 3.2 A3 DSG 3 years ago with a gearbox fault that turned out to be simply a sensor on the Mechatronics unit...fixed for £20. What problems are you experiencing with the vehicle?

VAG Error Code: 006079/10902/10903
EOBD II Error Code: P17BF

Fault Location:
Hydraulic Pump (Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG)) - Play Protection

Possible Cause:
-

Tech Notes:
There is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) for this fault code.
Transaction No.: 2027842/1.
35 R-tronic: no gears can be selected, hydraulic pump runs constantly.
Release date: Nov 22, 2011.