A4 B8 - Loud Engine Scraping / Grinding noise

Vorlockfoss

Hi folks,
how's things?
I have a very loud Scraping / Grinding sound on front of my engine.  The noise is external, as apposed to inside the block.  It could be coming from either the timing area, the serpent belt adjuster, one of the pumps or the Alternator, I can't work out which.
The first 3 days it made the noise I crapped myself, thinking the engine was about to explode, or something was going to fall off.  By the time I opened the bonnet the noise had gone.  The noise was/is like twisting a shuvel inside a metal bucket, but at a constant faster speed, maybe twice a second at tickover/idle, and scraping more on one side of the bucket than the other.  After the choke closed the noise went away within a few seconds and the car drove without issue.
On the 4th and 5th days the noise didn't go away, but again became quieter (more quiet) as the choke closed & the revs dropped, which I would think to be logical; it is still quite loud, as opposed to very loud.  The noise does increase with revs, as I assume would be expected.
The engine starts & runs ok, but does appear to run a little laboured, but only a little...
I have my suspicions, but thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone agrees.  Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated and gratefully received.
Thanks,
Paul.

Car: Audi A4 B8 2.0 TFSI Quattro S-Line 2009.

• 1 month later...

Right, here is an update.

I replaced the Auxillary Belt Tensioner and Belt, started the engine while the belt was removed, and the scraping noise still occured.

I've also replaced the Cambridge, the Cam Adjuster and the Cam Magnet, but the noise persists.  The engine is running better now and the tickover is slightly lower.  The noise became slowly quieter over 5 minutes after replacing these parts, but persists...

The noise sounds like it's revolving at around 1 - 2 times per second on tickover, so I have to surmise it's timing chain related, maybe the chain adjuster, but metal on metal...?

Thanks,

Paul.

Hello Paul,

Many thanks for the update. I think you have now (unfortunately) eliminated the engine-driven components, and have reasonable evidence that the issue is likely to be engine-internal. 

If it were mine, I would now be seeking an urgent diagnosis at a trusted local independent. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth,

That was a mighty fast reply...!

I've been driving it about since yesterday without any problems.  It now drives as it did 5 years ago.  I also have no engine codes at all now, which is the first time for around 4 years...!

When I start the engine the noise I mentioned is quite loud, but as it comes up to temperature it quietens and can only just be heard; while driving I cannot hear it at all.  The noise is definitely not inside the block.  As far as I can tell it's timing chain related, i.e. most likely the chain adjuster, or could even be one of the guides, but less likely.  I'm going to purchase an adjuster, and maybe a chain guide kit, and replace it/them.  It's not a job I relish though, because working on the top with the cam ends is easy as you only have to slide the front forward on 2 long and appropriate bolts, but for the lower end I'd need to either take the front off (oil and water removal), or at least remove the radiator to provide access; any advice on that...?

I'm not going to drive it now until I've checked/fixed, just in case.

Thanks,

Paul.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

I have an update...  Lol

Loud scraping noise = destroyed Balance Shaft Chain & Crank Cog Teeth.

Remedy = New Timing Chain & Crank Cog.

I did the work myself, which took an age of learning and an age of fixing, but it's all good now. 😁

Thanks,

Paul.

Edited by Vorlockfoss
Forgot to add who did the work.
  • Like 1